[p2p-research] The Higher Educational Bubble Continues to Grow

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Nov 6 02:14:16 CET 2009

It is amazing to think that these institutions are really starting to
crumble, just like Howard Zinn said was possible:
"The Optimism of Uncertainty"
"""
There is a tendency to think that what we see in the present moment will
continue. We forget how often we have been astonished by the sudden
crumbling of institutions, by extraordinary changes in people's thoughts, by
unexpected eruptions of rebellion against tyrannies, by the quick collapse
of systems of power that seemed invincible. What leaps out from the history
of the past hundred years is its utter unpredictability.
"""

Here is a link back to my previous post on this, with lots of links:
"[p2p-research] College Daze links (was Re: : FlossedBk, "Free/Libre and
Open Source Solutions for Education")"
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005379.html

Below is something I sent as a preface when I forwarded that list to some
unschoolers (not an open list, unfortunately).

====== I prefaced with:

I've been making some unschooly waves elsewhere. :-)

It looks the the very institution of "college" is finally starting to fall
apart at the mythological seams, just like the mythology of compulsory K-12
schooling has fallen apart for many unschoolers (and been replaced by
something better, at least for families that can make it work economically).
And the current financial crisis is accelerating this for colleges:
   "In a Time of Uncertainty, Colleges Hold Fast to the Status Quo:
Chronicle survey shows officials expect more financial fallout on campuses"
  http://chronicle.com/article/In-a-Time-of-Uncertainty/48911

At the following link is something I posted to a public mailing list that
focuses on peers building knowledge together, with links I've collected from
an unschooling perspective mostly about college.
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005379.html

I included the contents below.

Nobody (especially an unschooling parent) would have the time it would take
to visit all these links anytime soon. :-) It has taken me years to build
that list by personal exploration, and I've not even read all of some of the
online books linked. And then there are more paper books at some of the
sites I have not read in part or in full. But this list of links should show
just how large the growing intellectual resistance is to mainstream
schooling at all levels. Now that the economics of colleges are falling
apart (college has been a bit of a pyramid scheme too, like parts of the
rest of the economy), things are really coming to a boiling point. It is a
tough choice whether to throw your money and child into that boiling-over
pot if you believe in unschooling.

Obviously, everyone needs *education* of some sort throughout their lifetime
(even if primarily learner-directed education). I'm all for the public
library. :-) The issue is just whether most *schools* these days of any type
have much to do with education in anything of long term value to either the
individual or a 21st century society.

IMHO, the old model of schooling at every level is failing to help our
society transition smoothly from an assumption of scarcity to an assumption
of abundance, not because it does not teach facts, but because "the medium
is the message". Colleges don't teach people how to be part of a society
that assumes global abundance. Colleges teach people how to be part of a
society that assumes global scarcity, even to the point of creating scarcity
intentionally themselves. For example, colleges creating useless busywork
for most students most of the time instead of empowering them to work on
real projects of meaning to them. Universities often enforce extensive
copyrights and patents on their publicly funded research, making it hard for
others to build on it. Related to that last point:
http://www.pdfernhout.net/open-letter-to-grantmakers-and-donors-on-copyright-policy.html

So, for example, many people at universities may have trouble seeing the
irony that the technologies used to make military robots in university labs,
like computers and new materials, could instead produce abundance for all
globally if the technology was used differently, like to make agricultural
robots or solar panel producing robots, thus making the killer robots and
police robots for the most part unneeded. This is something people have been
taught not to see, or if they do see it, taught not to say anything about
it. I spent years around robotics in academia including managing a robotics
lab in the 1980s (and I have been guilty of the same blindness at times), so
it is a pet peeve of mine at this point. :-) Examples:
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005282.html
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005321.html
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005323.html
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005363.html

For anyone who has an unschooled kid planning to go to college, this list
below is not so much to absolutely discourage kids from going to college.
One can still make an argument college is needed for some professional
degrees, or whatever the reason (including parents seeing it as the best way
to invest in a child not good with handling money). College can also be a
lot of fun for the right person. This list is more intended to have kids go
to college with their eyes wide open. Had I known more about all this, I
feel I would have gotten a lot more out of college, and been exploited less
by it. I might still have gone to college (I started it early and it was
much better than another year and a half of high school :-), but I might
have treated some parts of it with much less seriousness (like access to
degrees, certificates, and grades), and some other parts of it with lot more
seriousness (like access to tools, knowledgeable people, walkable
surroundings, and a chance to help others).

I realize now I should have included this link in the list too:
   "The Case for Working With Your Hands"
   http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html
though balanced against:
   "High-Speed Robot Hand Demonstrates Dexterity and Skillful Manipulation"
http://www.hizook.com/blog/2009/08/03/high-speed-robot-hand-demonstrates-dexterity-and-skillful-manipulation

I posted about ways to move past that automation dilemma here:
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/2009/10/03/why-limited-demand-means-joblessness/

And perhaps I should have included, just for background before college:
   http://www.school-survival.net/
   http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/
   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=unschooling
   http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/fdtd-g.htm
   http://www.share-international.org/archives/cooperation/co_nocontest.htm
   http://www.thecaseagainsthomework.com/

And as I look to see who else is using the term "college daze", I see even
Forbes is starting to question the value of college: :-)
   "College Daze: Instead of helping high school grads grow up, colleges
prolong childhood."
   http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0901/032.html
(Though I personally would never recommend a child join the military instead
of choosing college, as suggested as one possibility there at Forbes -- even
as I think most of the article is otherwise good to think about for many
people. Ignoring any other issues about joining the military (like the
ethics of killing people you don't know on command), you can drop out of
college if you decide it is not for you, but a life in the military is
essentially forever these days with "stop-loss" -- given two (or three?)
wars going on right now. And "forever" is a big decision to make at
eighteen; joining the military under those terms makes getting a big tattoo
and lots of jewelery piercings seem like nothing. But obviously, as long as
we have a military, you want good people running it, so it's a complex
topic, same as working at a college is a complex topic given all these
issues that more and more people in academia are coming to understand.)

Feel free to forward.

=====

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/