[p2p-research] Slashdot | Secret Copyright Treaty Leaks. It's Bad. Very Bad.

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Nov 5 00:46:16 CET 2009

The title of this slashdot article is inflammatory, and I don't know how
accurate, but here is the article, and lots of interesting discussions:
"Slashdot | Secret Copyright Treaty Leaks. It's Bad. Very Bad."
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/11/04/144240
"""
Jamie found a Boing Boing story that will probably get your blood to at
least a simmer. It says "The internet chapter of the Anti-Counterfeiting
Trade Agreement, a secret copyright treaty whose text Obama's administration
refused to disclose due to 'national security' concerns, has leaked. It's
bad." You can read the original leaked document or the summary. If passed,
the internet will never be the same. Thank goodness it's hidden from public
scrutiny for National Security.
"""

A referenced site:
"Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad."
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/03/secret-copyright-tre.html
"""
The internet chapter of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, a secret
copyright treaty whose text Obama's administration refused to disclose due
to "national security" concerns, has leaked. It's bad. It says:
     * That ISPs have to proactively police copyright on user-contributed
material. This means that it will be impossible to run a service like Flickr
or YouTube or Blogger, since hiring enough lawyers to ensure that the
mountain of material uploaded every second isn't infringing will exceed any
hope of profitability.
     * That ISPs have to cut off the Internet access of accused copyright
infringers or face liability. This means that your entire family could be
denied to the internet -- and hence to civic participation, health
information, education, communications, and their means of earning a living
-- if one member is accused of copyright infringement, without access to a
trial or counsel.
     * That the whole world must adopt US-style "notice-and-takedown" rules
that require ISPs to remove any material that is accused -- again, without
evidence or trial -- of infringing copyright. This has proved a disaster in
the US and other countries, where it provides an easy means of censoring
material, just by accusing it of infringing copyright.
     * Mandatory prohibitions on breaking DRM, even if doing so for a lawful
purpose (e.g., to make a work available to disabled people; for archival
preservation; because you own the copyrighted work that is locked up with DRM)
"""

Another referenced blog post:
   "The ACTA Internet Chapter: Putting the Pieces Together"
   http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/

One comment someone posted at the last link that relates to peer production:
"""
Michael said: Content has destroyed us anyways...
We have no culture. We were raised by Disney. We enjoy what they say is the
top 40 list of the week. We have lost the ability to think and create on our
own. All we do is share someone else's ideas. Yes, with these laws, most of
us will be called criminals, we do copy everyone else, but in the end, as
someone else pointed out, it will save us and force us to create again. They
are just sealing their own coffin, and igniting us to fight for our lives.
We don't want or need their works anymore. We have the ability to make new
tools, and to simply claim the power from the minority. Every officer and
soldier is a citizen, and has a family. Eventually they will have to make a
decision as a human. We must all fight our own fight, and do the right thing
when the time comes. Traditions of the past always die and create ground for
the new. It is the genesis of life. Those that fight the truth will crash
against the rocks and be scattered.
"""

Of course, as I have posted on before, it is not clear how much longer it
will be true that "Every officer and soldier is a citizen, and has a family"
as we get more and more military robots. See:
   "[p2p-research] Coming to the Battlefield: Stone-Cold Robot Killers -
washingtonpost.com"
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005363.html
   "[p2p-research] Fwd: Petition against police violence to migrants and
activists in Greece"
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005323.html

We are perhaps within twenty years of that. And in any case, is an eighteen
year old in another country operating a drone in an air conditioned room
using skills learned on violent video games and brought up on state
propaganda in state schools really going to question much?

Will our society change in a big way before then?

Even now you can get automated sentry systems designed to enforce kill zones
based on face recognition or spoken password protocols:
  "South Korea's Machine Gun Sentry Robot"
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ

Soon that software could be added to ground mobile systems:
   "New Armed Robot Rolls Out"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQf0Q0JEdtE
   "14A3 talon 360 terminator"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oje0rfl518I

Or air mobile systems:
   "AutoCopter Gunship"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJF27QQcQ8
   "Predator Drone Gun Camera"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-47OxqHq

Or it may even spread to home use:
   "Airsoft Drone 2 - Fire Test and GunCam - AirsoftKorea.org"
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGQmwWPgHQ

Even without facial recognition, there will be easy targeting of suspected
insurgents. Who needs a three-strikes law for copyright infringers when you
can GPS target people with predator drones as they browse the web on their
GPS-enabled phone or laptop and wander into restricted content?
   http://www.apple.com/iphone/
   http://www.blackberry.com/
   http://developer.android.com/

Assassination by robots directed by cell phone signals has already been
enshrined into US security doctrine:
"The Predator War: What are the risks of the C.I.A.’s covert drone program?"
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/26/091026fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=all

So, that's the ironic side of digital/physical convergence (and even p2p in
mobile phones) with vast sums of money being spent on developing fancy
systems using technology that could produce abundance for all, but instead
involves paying people to create the mechanisms of artificial scarcity.

Contrast that with more life affirming technology like 3D printing like
RepRap that uses essentially the same technology as military robots, but has
a shoestring's worth of funding:
   http://www.reprap.org
   http://blog.reprap.org/2008_05_01_archive.html
"I lost count of how much I spent on shoes when my daughter was growing up.
I just reprapped a left shoe. It cost me 30 pence... And, should your child
be as financially inconsiderate as mine, and also grow, a quick click on the
scale transform in Art of Illusion solves that problem. And scaling by -1 in
any single dimension turns left into right..."

Or even, consider just as we embed more and more assumptions into our
infrastructure like DRM and "trusted computing" and so on:
   "An animated short against Trusted Computing, asking who is not being
trusted"
   http://www.lafkon.net/tc/

So, automated systems can just mail you a certified physical letter to
report to your local police station for processing based on your browsing
and download history. That might help deal with the excess number of workers
the USA has. :-(

At what point does a "slimy" peer-to-peer biofilm form from quorum sensing
to protect itself from those ghosts of scarcity past?
"[p2p-research] Biofilms and p2p"
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-November/005551.html
"A Christmas Carol -- Ignorance & Want"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MFN8yiVc0

An example of a helpful Slimer: :-)
   "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDIfRlAjQE

Just be careful not to cross the p2p streams when catching him... :-)
   "Ghostbusters (1984): Film Clip - Don't cross the Streams"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJ2WnRjzWs

When will we get intrinsic mutual security through a p2p biofilm? :-)

Instead of our current system of extrinsic unilateral security designed to
benefit an ideology that does not even help *rich* children?
"The Culture of Affluence: Psychological Costs of Material Wealth"

On the other hand, sometimes quorum sensing fails: :-(
   "They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45"
   http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/511928.html
""""
What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by
little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in
secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the
government had to act on information which the people could not understand,
or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could
not be released because of national security. And their sense of
identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this
gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it. ...
   But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands
will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and
worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and
smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked —
if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ’43 had come immediately after
the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ’33. But of
course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of
little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to
be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you
did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step
D. ...
"""

But even then, there is the rest of the world:
"Creative Commons in Asia: not such a boon"
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/creative-commons-in-asia-not-such-a-boon/2009/02/24
"""
Indian journalist Frederick Noronha (http://fn.goa-india. org) basically
agrees with Sasi:
     “There is an overall culture of sharing knowledge here, even if this
isn’t called ‘Creative Commons’. We had the launch of CCIndia in early 2007,
but there seems to be little activity there… I think CC is a bit too
conservative and too respectful of copyright issues. Copyright has not
worked for us (in the developing world) for generations. Generally speaking,
copyright in any form, including CC, doesn’t fit in too well with Asian
ideas of knowledge, since it enables those controlling knowledge and
information over the rest, and we find it impossible to emerge winners in
this game. It is a colonial law, not meant to serve the interest of the
people of those parts of the globe that are not ahead in the information
race! Why should we be as respectful to it, as, say, Lawrence Lessig is?”
"""

Is that how things are shaping up? With maybe the Indians and the Chinese
"liberating" people in North America and Europe from copyright barons using
machines to enforce scarcity, in a terrible war? :-( James P. Hogan
developed related themes in some of his sci-fi books, essentially the USA
and Europe descending into economic depressions while the East roared ahead.

So, it is "interesting" to see how this all will play out. :-(
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_live_in_interesting_times

I'll try to be hopeful: :-)
   http://www.blessedunrest.com/
"Blessed Unrest explores the diversity of the movement, its brilliant ideas,
innovative strategies, and hidden history, which date back many centuries. A
culmination of Hawken's many years of leadership in the environmental and
social justice fields, it will inspire and delight any and all who despair
of the world's fate, and its conclusions will surprise even those within the
movement itself. Fundamentally, it is a description of humanity's collective
genius, and the unstoppable movement to reimagine our relationship to the
environment and one another."

And optimistic: :-)
   "The Optimism of Uncertainty"
"To play, to act, is to create at least a possibility of changing the world.
There is a tendency to think that what we see in the present moment will
continue. We forget how often we have been astonished by the sudden
crumbling of institutions, by extraordinary changes in people's thoughts, by
unexpected eruptions of rebellion against tyrannies, by the quick collapse
of systems of power that seemed invincible. What leaps out from the history
of the past hundred years is its utter unpredictability. This confounds us,
because we are talking about exactly the period when human beings became so
ingenious technologically that they could plan and predict the exact time of
someone landing on the moon, or walk down the street talking to someone
halfway around the earth."

And I'll hope this very prescient story by Richard Stallman from 1997 is
totally wrong as the main motivation to move into outer space: :-)
   "The Right to Read"
"From The Road To Tycho, a collection of articles about the antecedents of
the Lunarian Revolution, published in Luna City in 2096.  ... For Dan
Halbert, the road to Tycho began in college — when Lissa Lenz asked to
borrow his computer. Hers had broken down, and unless she could borrow
another, she would fail her midterm project. There was no one she dared ask,
except Dan. This put Dan in a dilemma. He had to help her — but if he lent
her his computer, she might read his books. Aside from the fact that you
could go to prison for many years for letting someone else read your books,
the very idea shocked him at first. Like everyone, he had been taught since
elementary school that sharing books was nasty and wrong — something that
only pirates would do. And there wasn't much chance that the SPA — the
Software Protection Authority — would fail to catch him. In his software
class, Dan had learned that each book had a copyright monitor that reported
when and where it was read, and by whom, to Central Licensing. (They used
this information to catch reading pirates, but also to sell personal
interest profiles to retailers.) The next time his computer was networked,
Central Licensing would find out. He, as computer owner, would receive the
harshest punishment — for not taking pains to prevent the crime. ... "

Because, as my father used to say, based on decades of first hand experience
as a merchant seaman, "Wherever you go, you take yourself along." :-) So,
it's best to solve our problems on Earth first, and then move into space
because we are so happy down here, we want to spread joy and love
everywhere. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/