[p2p-research] P2P platforms for wide ranging discussions beyond email?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Nov 4 22:58:20 CET 2009

Moving my reply over to this thread...

Stan Rhodes wrote:
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-November/005552.html
 > Technology cannot solve all difficulties in organizing and providing
 > perspective on a body of information, nor all problems in inter-personal
 > communication.  Sometimes, the remedy is old-fashioned discipline in
 > presenting a viewpoint or mental model as concisely as possible.

On this point of "discipline", while your suggestion is ideal, in practice,
it would be nice to have a technological system that helped us separate
different aspects of thinking (or some sort of "discipline" in other terms)
within a peer-to-peer context. Some people are better at some things than
others. So for example, I could post something rambly, almost everyone could
ignore it because they know I ramble, except maybe one person would
summarize one point they cared about in a concise way, and the conversation
could flow around that concise point by people who cared about it, perhaps
with further iterations of refinements, maybe with another ramble by me at
some point, etc.. Granted, email is not ideal for that, but it can be used
that way, and sometimes is.

This is a sort of peer-based scientific-tending process. One big problem
with how the scientific method is described in practice (hypothesis, test,
report) is that it has no relation to reality in most cases. :-) Still, a
broader view of the scientific method does include iterations, even if the
method by itself ignores broader issues about creativity:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
"""
A linearized, pragmatic scheme of the four points above is sometimes offered
as a guideline for proceeding:[32]
    1. Define the question
    2. Gather information and resources (observe)
    3. Form hypothesis
    4. Perform experiment and collect data
    5. Analyze data
    6. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point
for new hypothesis
    7. Publish results
    8. Retest (frequently done by other scientists)
The iterative cycle inherent in this step-by-step methodology goes from
point 3 to 6 back to 3 again.
"""

I'd suggest a major flaw in that outline is it assumes science is being done
by individuals, like in school doing a term paper, with no substantial
collaboration at any stage other than publication (maybe there might be some
communications with just with a couple peers in the same lab). Much of that
lack of communication is because of a fight over research dollars that
poisons the scientific process in several ways.
   "The Big Crunch" by David Goodstein
   http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dg/crunch_art.html

So, what would a peer-to-peer scientific method look like with lots of open
communications at all stages? And what tools could help with that?

In practice, what happens is somewhat stigmergic:
* blundering around in an area just learning and having fun, or otherwise
sharing some new idea of current interest
* some ideas click together
* some more breakthroughs get made in cumbersome ways based on combining ideas
* breakthrough ideas get refined
* there is some testing, or even just library research, and then discussion
of conclusions, etc.
* presentations get polished, and then spawn more blundering :-)

Where all stages can drop back to the blundering/playful start at any point.

While it might be ideal if all email communications can be in the first half
of the last category (presentation of polished ideas), that's maybe 0.01% of
the scientific enterprise in terms of time, even if important.

By trying to push all communications into that form, one risks shutting down
the playful underlying layers. Now, that may be common in real science labs,
but they operate under other assumptions than p2p (different funding
assumptions, different reputation assumptions, different social organization
models, etc.)

Granted, shutting down unauthorized playful research is the actual intent of
much of academic bureaucracy in order to shut down any changes to the status
quo, but we can try to resist it when we can: :-)
   http://www.disciplined-minds.com/

Recent examples:

"Professor David Nutt asked to resign after his claims that ecstasy and LSD
were less dangerous than alcohol"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/oct/30/drugs-adviser-david-nutt-sacked

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2006-feb.shtml
"... the same Boston University academic who turned me livid eighteen months
ago when she fired Professor Michael Holick for writing a book. Holick's
book simply questioned current dermatology dogma that sunlight is evil and
she fired him: Boston University's version of academic freedom."

"Rhetta Moran, David Healy - and the language of academic bullying"
http://scientific-misconduct.blogspot.com/2008/07/rhetta-moran-david-healy-and-language.html
"One would have thought that the idea of "compatible" or "incompatible"
research would be something that should interest an academic union. The AUT
attempted to induce to me to go along with a sham process as well as a gag
agreement while ignoring every principle involved. Their silence has been
deafening."

Now, that all is a different issue from how to use email as-is effectively
to accomplish some specific goal, granted. But, in some ways, email,
especially coupled with a citeable web archive of posts, is maybe the best
we have. People can filter posts, people can cite things, people can
summarize. Things could be a lot better though.

But, I won't disagree with your general point about the need for
"discipline". I think the question is more, discipline at what point and in
what context and of what type and by whom and towards what end using what
technology?

> Many of us probably want "a better stigmergic platform than wikis or
> emails or web forums or Google Wave for creating public interlinked
> knowledge covering a wide variety of interrelated topics from a wide
> variety of perspectives, especially one that is interlinked with things
> like real time data acquisition, simulations, and digitized historical
> records." However, by definition, email is not that platform (if it can
> even exist), and trying to use email for something beyond its basic
> strengths invites a lot of frustration.
>
> I appreciate the desire to have a version history of assumptions,
> concepts, and thoughts surrounding a topic. I actually think it's doable,
> using semantic metadata with a starting database of something like
> Wikipedia or Zotero. For example, in my research, I've envisioned an
> "assumption map" that links models with their assumptions, and acts as a
> sort of key for the jargon of various disciplines in the behavioral
> sciences. I expect someone is already working on something similar to
> connect assumptions.

Thanks for the other references to Zotera and Posterous. Any link to any
public work you are doing on making assumptions for models explicit would be
appreciated, I've been talking about doing something related , both on this
list (earlier post referencing Catton and modelling tools) and elesewhere).
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-August/004130.html

I can post more on that if people are interested. Essentially, it is about
linking simulations to structured arguments about them.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/