[p2p-research] The psychopath as peer? (redirecting to other thread)

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:54:41 CET 2009

Paul,

I didn't realize the thread had undergone more branching. My reply to Michel
in the psychopathy email covers most of the points I would include as a
blog.  Posterous is certainly the easiest when it comes to email-to-blog
posting.

Technology cannot solve all difficulties in organizing and providing
perspective on a body of information, nor all problems in inter-personal
communication.  Sometimes, the remedy is old-fashioned discipline in
presenting a viewpoint or mental model as concisely as possible.

Many of us probably want "a better stigmergic platform than wikis or emails
or web forums or Google Wave for creating public interlinked knowledge
covering a wide variety of interrelated topics from a wide variety of
perspectives, especially one that is interlinked with things like real time
data acquisition, simulations, and digitized historical records."  However,
by definition, email is not that platform (if it can even exist), and trying
to use email for something beyond its basic strengths invites a lot of
frustration.

I appreciate the desire to have a version history of assumptions, concepts,
and thoughts surrounding a topic.  I actually think it's doable, using
semantic metadata with a starting database of something like Wikipedia or
Zotero.  For example, in my research, I've envisioned an "assumption map"
that links models with their assumptions, and acts as a sort of key for the
jargon of various disciplines in the behavioral sciences.  I expect someone
is already working on something similar to connect assumptions.

Ryan,

Although I like brevity, I like concision more.  Depending on the
dictionary, they are almost synonymous, but I see brevity as focusing on
being brief, and concision expressing a concept or closely-related group of
concepts clearly in a very tight way.  An email on a complex topic may not
be brief even though it's concise.  I certainly lay no claim to skill in
this area, although I work at it.

The obsolescence of RSS seems greatly exaggerated.   Scoble is no stranger
to hyperbole, and he's mostly a tech news junkie.  My RSS is mostly
research-based, and I'm not sure how I would be better served by, say,
Eurekalert tweeting all the time.  I can prioritize what I look at first,
and what I skip, by the reputation of the site and the feed.  I could
probably do that with twitter with the right client and the right settings,
but why bother?  Both could be better, but can't they always?

When it comes to proprietary software, services, and products, people have
to vote with their use, their dollar, and their voice.  Consider them
signals broadcast from a potential market.  You use "corporatist" and
"capitalism" and yet I really am not sure what they are supposed to mean.
Anyway, that's a different conversation, but a good example of what I meant
by brevity versus concision.

-- Stan