[p2p-research] P2P and Post-scarcity Propaganda

Edward Miller embraceunity at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:18:17 CET 2009

Documentaries can be one of the most effective ways of getting a message
across. We don't have a lot of really slick propaganda for our cause, but
recently I have seen some nice indie documentaries that advocate very
similar positions as us. I have a few quibbles with these videos, but
ultimately they are excellent works and should be widely distributed.

http://www.workersoftheworldrelax.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqU1o3NmSw&feature=player_embedded

In addition to more documentaries, to improve the effectiveness of our memes
we need to rally around certain easily recognizable slogans, logos, and so
forth.

There are some slick enterprises, no doubt, such as MakerBot, Ponoko, MAKE
Magazine, etc. Though, these are for specific for-profit organizations
rather than our ideas or our movement as a whole. The best example currently
is probably the Pirate Party which ironically embraces the term pirate,
despite the real pirates being their enemies, the RIAA and MPAA. A sense of
humor helps. Though this is only one small piece of the puzzle. Their
reaction against intellectual property only seems to extend to media and
information.

We need to construct a coherent narrative, and in these dark economic days
it should be easier than usual.