[p2p-research] The psychopath as peer?

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 01:06:49 CET 2009

Paul,

Due to controversy and overlaps between clinial tools, such as the DMS-IV,
it's hard to cut through the "popular science" fluff and find the meat in
most work on these subjects.  For example, measures of "psychopathy" are
used for research only, and are not in any way clinical diagnoses of
anti-social personality disorder (ASPD).   While psychopathy and ASPD are
correlated, only a fraction of prisoners diagnosed with ASPD meet the PCL-R
criteria for psychopathy.  In fact, ASPD is almost synonymous with "someone
in the US prison system" (around 80% of US prisoners are ASPD) and given the
disproportionately large prisoner population in the US, there's a really
fishy smell to the whole business.  It's important to keep this in mind when
reviewing research articles written for the public that touch on either.

While I'm not discounting the PCL-R, I have grave doubts about it
representing a distinct taxonomic group.  It's factor 1 and factor 2 measure
very different things.  I've run across studies where one of the factors
will correlate strongly with some behavior, but the other will not.

My warning, as someone that actually studied psychology--and still does--is
take it all with a salt-shaker of salt.  This tends to be good advice across
the behavioral sciences in general.

Paul, at some point you said "Some may be genetic too," but the study you
pointed to only tested for neural activation.  Neural activation does NOT
mean genetic evidence.

Cheers,
-- Stan