[p2p-research] Scarcity mythology breaking down (was Re: Where Does The Oil Come From?)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Nov 1 21:14:55 CET 2009

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> The problem being right now that a very few people get what they still
> think are very big benefits by the current economic system, as long as
> they look the other way about systemic risks of collapse (economic
> collapse, war, unrest, plaque, and so on) that we *all* face together,
> even the wealthy.
>
> And, it looks like even the children of the wealthy are worse off for it:
> "Children of the Affluent: Challenges to Well-Being"
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1948879/
> "The Culture of Affluence: Psychological Costs of Material Wealth"
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1950124/
> "Why Affluent, High-Achieving Teens Are Often Depressed"
> http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/2007/09/07/why-affluent-high-achieving-teens-are-often-depressed.html
>

> If even the children of the wealthy are being harmed by the current
> system, then who is the current system really working for?
>
> One possibility: Psychopaths? :-(
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=psychopaths+corporate

An alternative hypothesis:
"Slashdot | Nothing To Fear But Fearlessness Itself?"
http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/11/01/1713258/Nothing-To-Fear-But-Fearlessness-Itself
"In a post last August, Robert X. Cringely voiced fears that Goldman Sachs
and others were not so much evil as 'clueless about the implications of
their work,' leaving it up to the government to fix any mess they leave
behind. 'But what if government runs out of options,' worried Cringely. 'Our
economic policy doesn't imagine it, nor does our foreign policy, because
superpowers don't acknowledge weakness.' And now his fears are echoed in a
WSJ opinion piece by Peggy Noonan titled 'We're Governed by Callous
Children.' She writes, 'We are governed at all levels by America's luckiest
children, sons and daughters of the abundance, and they call themselves
optimists but they're not optimists — they're unimaginative. They don't have
faith, they've just never been foreclosed on. They are stupid and they are
callous, and they don't mind it when people become disheartened. They don't
even notice.' With apologies to FDR, do we have nothing to fear but
fearlessness itself?"
http://www.cringely.com/2009/08/is-technology-evil/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703363704574503631430926354.html

--Paul Fernhout