[p2p-research] excellent contribution on flow money by Martien van Steenbergen

Martien van Steenbergen Martien at aardrock.com
Wed May 27 16:18:03 CEST 2009

Ryan,

First of all, apologies for the elaborate reply.

On 26 May 2009, at 16:52 , Ryan Lanham wrote:

> Martien:
>
> I agree with what Michel wrote, first, and also reiterate his same
> questions.
>
> Second, you say we made the rules for money once, we can remake them
> again...This I am having trouble with.  When did we "make" the rules
> for money?  Is it not a more spontaneous self-ordering ecosystem?
> There were dozens of currencies in the Colonial US plus Sterling
> plus Spanish money, etc.  Money happens.

You're right. Money happens. Simply because it is so practical. I
doubt that it is a spontaneous self-ordering ecosystem. If money
happens, then what monetary systems do we have in our body? And which
of them have traits similar to our current monetary system? Cancer-
like systems always self-destroy, by nature, by definition. An
uncontrolled chain reaction just burns up the host. And we're burning
up our planet likewise.

We humans have thought up the rules of monetary systems (without
sufficiently biomimicry-ing nature). Someone (a gold smith?) once came
up with the thought that compound positive interest was a good idea
and implemented it. And giving out more money than could be covered
was another idea that has been implemented.

It now becomes apparent, and to a growing number of people, that our
current monetary system does not serve us all too well. So, collect
some smart and wise people (ecosophists), use a set of creativity
techniques, an excellent facilitator, and innovate our monetary system
for the better.

There is more than one way to design a system. The system should match
its zeitgeist and culture. Remember Conway's Law: organization and the
architecture (system design) of the product are isomorphic. Therefore,
make sure the organization is compatible with the product
architecture. Our organization is global now. Yet, we also need things
on smaller scales (holarchic). So we need a scale-free system design.

The dozen currencies that sprung up over the past centuries all had a
practical sparkle indeed. Too bad that the system with cancer built in
has won so far. We might as well have opted for the Egyptian Giro
systems that date back at least to Ptolemaic Egypt in the 4th century
BC. State granary deposits functioned as an early banking system, in
which giro payments were accepted, with a central bank in Alexandria.
Giro was a common method of money transfer in early banking. Look at
the heritage the Egyptians left us. The pyramids still ‘make money’.
The Egyptians in that time had a good, abundant, and exalted lif, and
they expressed it in great long-term cultural heritage.

In this context, allow me to quote governor Mervyn King, Governor of
Bank of England, from a lecture in 1999:

“Is it possible that advances in technology will mean that (...) the
world may come to resemble a pure exchange economy? Electronic
transactions in real time hold out that possibility. There is no
reason, in principle, why final settlements could not be carried out
by the private sector without the need for clearing through the
central bank. (...) [T]here is no conceptual obstacle to the idea that
two individuals engaged in a transaction could settle by a transfer of
wealth from one electronic account to another in real time. (...) The
same system could match demands and supplies of financial assets,
determine prices and make settlements. Financial assets and real goods
and services would be priced in terms of a unit of account. Final
settlement could be made without any recourse to the central bank.
(...) Without such a role in settlements, central banks, in their
present form, would no longer exist; nor would money.”

Oh, how peer-to-peer. I'll share his complete speech in a separate
message.

On spontaneous self-ordering: Self-organization ‘happens’ or emerges
due to a (relatively small) number of smart and simple rules. These
rules comprise the potential emergence of a system.

Consider a flock of birds, unordered, chaotic. Now, have each of the
birds adopt three simple rules:

Cohesion: Move towards other nearby birds, unless the other is too
close.
Alignment: Fly in the same general direction as your neighbours, give
or take a some degrees in any direction.
Separation: Keep approximately the length of one bird disctance to
your neigbours, so not to bump into them.

These rules will make them flock, and a swarm will emerge. Think about
how the swarm will behave if you remove one of the rules. Think about
how the swarm will behave if you add a rule like: Lazyness: Try not to
fly at the head of the swarm.

Dee Hock puts it succinctly:

“Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex,
intelligent behavior.
Complex rules and regulations give rise to simple, stupid behavior.”
— Dee Hock, VISA

We humans have the creativity and power to invent, design, and
implement rules. We constantly do so. Many of them end up in laws and
contracts. Even de peer-to-peer principles can be viewed as such.

What are the new rules for the new economy? (And, before that, what is
our paradigm and what are our goals that those rules ought to
facilitate?)

Try and ‘think roundabout’. On normal crossings you have to give way
to cars coming from the right (or left, depending on your country).
It's the law. On a roundabout you suddenly have to give way to cars
coming from the left! Takes a while to get used to when first
encountered. A simple rule change with a profound positive effect:
completely self-organizing, less accidents, and near-zero maintenance
(very cost-effective).

 From a systemic point of view: every system has its limits beyond
which the system does not function properly. Open all doors and
windows in mid-winter, and your heating system is not able to cope,
might even burn-out.

> I accept that many ecosystems need to be "gardened" to be made more
> manageable, but I doubt you would succeed in convincing anyone to
> implement a monetary system where money cannot be hoarded.

Well, would you be willing to adopt it? I certainly would, since it
will make the rich richer, and the poor rich. Richer, wealthier, in
the non-financial sense of the word.

If everyone is wealthy and we have found ways to repair Earth (we
excell in the art of cradle to cradle), then even for the already
wealthy their world has become wealthier. A lot less crime and war, no
poverty, less (or no) theft, abundance of nature, culture, etc.

What would we lose if we'd switch (or migrate) to such a system?

We need to transcend and include our malfunctioning current system.

I'd like to have systems that require minimal gardening, i.e. that are
self-gardening. Nature is a good example.

>   Do you think such a system would be voluntarily accepted?

Yes. Would you? Why?

> Why would people accede to a system where they cannot transfer
> wealth to their children

Good question. They can enable their children to grow their trustwidth
in their parenting period by transferring from their to their
children's account. They can also (gradually) transfer ownership of
real estate or other valuables to their kids.

In a good brainstorming process we can even come up with a lot more
ways to do this.

Also, we need to ask ourselves the question why we would want this in
the first place. What is the need? What do we lose if we cannot. From
an end-game perspective, the need for this may even be obliviated.
Since there can be no more money-hoarding, it simply does not make
sense anymore.

Why do kids deserve such an (unfair?) privilege over other kids?
Shouldn't they also demonstrate their willingness and ability to be a
good citizen? If they are as good as their parents, they'll be able to
achieve similar levels of trust.

I admit, this area definitely needs work. So, let's get get
crackin' (preferrably on a seperate thread).

> , or hold wealth for an emergency, etc.,

There is no need to hold wealth for emergencies, since if we keep the
feet of our neighbours dry when they have a bad time, they will return
the favor.

Also, clever ways to design flow money, the small percentage (of your
saldo or trustwidth) that trickles away into a holarchy of community
funds, can potentially replace the tax and insurance system as we know
it, and enable us to do the things that we as a community can but as
an individual cannot do. Precisely where these systems are designed
for in the first place. Something we also tend to forget very often.

Tax translated to Dutch is ‘belasting’, translated back to English
meaning  ‘burdening’. But tax effectively alleviates the burden to
build (rail)roads, police, medical care, etc. May I suggest to use the
word ‘verlichting’ (enlightenment) instead? Since that is what it
effectivly does.

> and would there always be commodity wealth hoarding anyway?

> Gold, diamonds, paintings by Picasso, useful machines, etc?

Probably. But if you want to buy a painting from Picasso, you must
have the trustwidth to do so. The trustwidth reflects your life-long
good citizenship until now. If you can afford a Picasso painting,
you've probably, no, provably, contributed quite a lot to the
community. Please note that community is a scale-free connotation
here; it scales from small communities to villages to regios to
counties to countries to continents to our planet.

> Why would anyone ever give up personal security to participate in a
> system?

What do you exactly mean by personal security?

> Would you compel them?

That's almost a philisophical question. One of Dee Hock's principles
is to educe rather than compel, and I, for one, am a strong supporter
of this principle. Then again, if a community drafts a number of
overarching values and founding principles, it is expected that
everyone in the community adheres to them and is expected to keep each
other sharp in this respect. These principles are, in fact, a number
of rules, and rules help a system emerge and organizes (or orders) the
community. As such, they also compel behaviour.

New entrants in the community (immigrants) are compelled to adopt the
community's culture and values and principles and laws and regulations
or perish. This although I dislike the word and meaning of compel.

On the other hand, when a potential immigrant tends to migrate to
another country and culture, it is a conscious decision and as such
educes certain behavior from the immigrant. The immigrant will
evaluate the different cultures to choose from and pick the one that
resonates the most.

Note that values shape principles, principles shape constitution and
constitution shapes law and regulation, and in that order.

Succes en plezier,

Martien.