[p2p-research] excellent contribution on flow money by Martien van Steenbergen

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:52:21 CEST 2009

Martien:

I agree with what Michel wrote, first, and also reiterate his same
questions.

Second, you say we made the rules for money once, we can remake them
again...This I am having trouble with.  When did we "make" the rules for
money?  Is it not a more spontaneous self-ordering ecosystem?   There were
dozens of currencies in the Colonial US plus Sterling plus Spanish money,
etc.  Money happens.

I accept that many ecosystems need to be "gardened" to be made more
manageable, but I doubt you would succeed in convincing anyone to implement
a monetary system where money cannot be hoarded.  Do you think such a system
would be voluntarily accepted?  Why would people accede to a system where
they cannot transfer wealth to their children, or hold wealth for an
emergency, etc., and would there always be commodity wealth hoarding
anyway?  Gold, diamonds, paintings by Picasso, useful machines, etc?

Why would anyone ever give up personal security to participate in a system?
Would you compel them?

Ryan