[p2p-research] Fwd: My Book - 'After the Car'‏

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 06:23:17 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kingsley Dennis <shems99 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:35 AM
Subject: My Book - 'After the Car'‏

Dear Friends,

Allow me for a brief moment to indulge. I would like to inform you that my
co-authored book titled 'After the Car' has now been published (finally!),
and is currently sitting idly in Amazon. See -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Car-Kingsley-Dennis/dp/0745644228/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233663715&sr=8-13

Generally the book is 'academic-ish' and I'm not expecting any of you to
buy! Although concerned with the car the book is also about the 'future' and
addresses issues of a post peak-oil society. If you should feel so inclined,
or know of anyone who might be mildly interested, I would be happy that you
pass on the news. Below is the blurb:

*Product Description*
It is difficult to imagine a world without the car, and yet that is exactly
what Dennis and Urry set out to do in this provocative new book. They argue
that the days of the car are numbered: powerful forces around the world are
undermining the car system and will usher in a new transport system sometime
in the next few decades. Specifically, the book examines how several major
processes are shaping the future of how we travel, including:
• Global warming and its many global consequences
• Peaking of oil supplies
• Increased digitisation of many aspects of economic and social life
• Massive global population increases
The authors look at changes in technology, policy, economy and society, and
make a convincing argument for a future where, by necessity, the present car
system will be re–designed and re–engineered. Yet the book also suggests
that there are some hugely bleak dilemmas facing the twenty first century.
The authors lay out what they consider to be possible ‘post–car’ future
scenarios. These they describe as ‘local sustainability’, ‘regional
warlordism’ and ‘digital networks of control’.
*After The Car* will be of great interest to planners, policy makers, social
scientists, futurologists, those working in industry, as well as general
readers.
Some have described the 20th Century as the century of the car. Now that
century has come to a close – and things are about to change.

Wishing you all the best,

Kingsley

--
Kingsley L. Dennis