[p2p-research] controversy: GM foods and organic agriculture

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 06:58:21 CEST 2009

Hi Herve,

Thanks for that, but don't forget that what is obvious for you, may not be
for Ryan, so these things still need to be argued.

However, I just realized that neither you nor Roberto really answered my
argument, which is different from Ryan's.

My point is: would it be different, if GMO where part of an open commons,
not part of corporate profitmaking. So if we assume open and participative
science, not under the control of privatizing companies, would that make GMO
different?

Imagine for a moment Monsanto was not there, and GMO investigations are
practiced by farmer-scientists ... does that change anything?

Michel

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Hervé Le Crosnier <herve at info.unicaen.fr>wrote:

> Ryan Lanham a écrit :
> > Professor,
> >
> > Care to comment?  I've suggest GMO is a good thing for Africa--a line
> > I've been told many times by development economists.  Maybe you could
> > give some pointers to "independent" studies.  Is there an honest middle
> > party?  How would one know an honest middle party?
> >

>         Dear Ray,
>
>        You can't say things like this in a list devoted to thinking the
>        process of changing society with a common-based approach.
>
>        Let me say in three points :
>
>        1 - GMO and Africa
>        -------------------
>
>        Have a look at the own Monsanto site to hear about
>        a buggy OGM created in the States, and whoput South African
>        Farmers on their knees.
>
> White Maize in South Africa
>
> http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto_today/for_the_record/south_africa_gm_corn.asp
>
>        They have to apologize after a vast movement of framers.
>
>        Michel recently send and interview about massive farmers
>        suicide in India.
>
>        Where do people get data to say GMO is good for Africa.
>        I will be very please to read such an article, if based on
>        data, not "pie-in-the-sky" for "future" GMO, that will
>        certainly never exists.
>
>        Bayer, an european chimist is near to lauch the modified rice
>        LL62, which is built to resist the glufosinate weed killer.
>        Problem : this pesticide is to be ride off europe, considered
>        as too dangerous.  But rice market is Asia, isn't it. And
>        so will it be of glufosinate market. (i only got french
>        reference for this)
>
>        Please send us datas and articles to explain how one can develop
>        a country with such a bio-imperialism over their heads.
>
>        The IAASDT Group, a council of worldwide scientists, as
>        important for future of food production as the GIEC was for
>        asserting the global change, issued a real worldwide study
>        on april 2008. You can have an idea with the BBC article :
>
> Global food system 'must change'
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7347239.stm
>
>        And the full report
>        http://www.agassessment.org/
>
>        The future of food production, if we want everyone to have
>        food, is aimed at small farmers... the contrary of
>        the gmo-pesticides stanza... They are scientist, they
>        studied real situation, and they collectively make
>        proposals.
>

>        2 - What does it mean to ask for "independant" studies
>        ------------------------------------------------------
>
>        Most studies that really get data against GMO are independant.
>        They are not paid by agro-giants.
>
>        When Ignacio Chapela, a scientist from Berkeley working
>        with communauties in Oaxaca find existance of maize-GMO in the
>        very cradle of maize, in Mexico, he wonders. No indian
>        people never use GMO... but pollinisation is very hard to
>        predict.
>
>        Do you think it's university was proud of this independant
>        research and findings published in the most influencials
> [...]

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com