[p2p-research] Peer Governance of This List

Matt Cooperrider mattcooperrider at gmail.com
Sun May 24 18:15:46 CEST 2009

Michel and Ryan,

Both of your responses have been enlightening.

Ryan, I chuckled at your image of "prissy" types who write with "19th
Century care" (am I writing that way now?  I just rewrote this email for the
third time...).  I sometimes forget how deeply I've incorporated the old
academic ideals of completeness and bibliographic order .  Usually this just
leads to me feeling guilty about not "keeping up".  Laughing at those ideals
helps me let go of them.

Michel, I'm also wary of unnecessary governance, and I like your pragmatism
about the benefits of this list.  If anything, it's most critical that you,
Michel Bauwens, have easy means to survey this space, since you put in so
much effort to curate the P2P information commons.

All that said, I'd still be interested to see the existing governance
structures of this list, and perhaps the blog and the wiki as well,
documented so that they are available for examiniation.  Michel, I imagine
you do an awful lot that we're not aware of an everyday basis to maintain
the P2P foundation.  Do you have your daily/weekly P2P duties recorded
anywhere?  Is there an organizational chart of who manages which resource?
Of who has admin rights and has the power to ban or exclude?

I certainly don't want to build new governance structures unnecessarily.
Moreover, my interest in these issues is not directly related to recent
events or particular list issues - I merely saw an opportunity to start a
discussion.

But if we've learned anything from the transparency movement, it's that you
don't know what benefits can be achieved until you show the community what's
going on on the inside.  Even details that seem trivial or obvious can
generate new insights when documented and shared.

Best,
Matt