[p2p-research] Capitalism's Crisis, Marx's Shadow--in Monthly Review

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 10:57:54 CEST 2009

Michel,

I follow him on Twine which is one of Nova's projects.  He's also on
Facebook.  I believe he is an Argentine academic, but that may be wrong.  He
has quite diverse and deep interests...I also became familiar with Fernanda
Ibarra's links on Twine...she is in Mexico and works on micro-currencies.
Like Paola and a few others, one gets used to a set of names popping up here
and there...in comments on various blogs, etc. where people seem to become
what was 125 years ago somewhat pejoratively called "intellectuals" these
days.  It is another phenomonon of the web that isn't understood.  I track
maybe 40 such people.  Some rarely write, but do bookmark a lot.  Some
comment but don't bookmark.  Some blog; most don't.  Some use twitter, etc.

Strangely, few of these sorts are conventional academics with successful
careers.  It seems the places for "conversations" for such people are more
in slow media--journals and such--where formality rules and ideas can be
well work-out.  A lot of business analysts are trying to understand partial
ideas, quick speak, rapid response, just-in-time/real time communication,
etc.  There are huge numbers of lurkers who very slowly try to find a voice
or are uncomfortable throwing stuff out there since ideas can be
comparatively precious to them.  I always try to mentor people into entering
the fray...it can be overdone...and I too often say too much, but it is
better to form your ideas by speaking, for most I believe, than to never
benefit from N-way conversations.

The usual complaints of too full mailboxes, can't filter, etc. always come
in.  These are inevitable as people try to work with the old ways of
reflection, perfection, depth in a world that has become hit-and-miss,
pastiche, collage, bric-a-brac, etc.  I find that the ideas that permeated
French art from 150 years ago are fresh in media studies...paint fast, throw
it out, get criticized, don't worry too much about forum prestige, etc.  The
Impressionists taught us a lot about the Internet.

Ryan