[p2p-research] further contribution by David Ronfeldt on p2p as successor system

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:55:44 CEST 2009

I suggested due process for 2 separate issues:

1) the moderation actions of Ryan which you feel to be unfair

2) the issue of sending limits on this email list

Individuals exists and have rights

Communities exists and have governance, good and bad, charismatic,
meritocratic, sovereign etc ...

Due process is that attempts to bridge the individual and collective but you
have to be willing to play to game. If you want to participate in a
community, any community, there will always be either pre-existing rules,
rules that you create if you start a group of your own, or emerging rules in
case of conflict between individuals ..

This requires that there is a community, i.e. a group of peope trying to
achieve something ... If you think the community itself is not legitimate,
the issue is not resolvable .. There is no way to resolve this without you
engaging with the other people, and if you do that, it's always better to
avoid too much antagonism as this create extreme reactions all over ...

It doesn't have to be that way,

Michel