[p2p-research] further contribution by David Ronfeldt on p2p as successor system

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 07:38:03 CEST 2009

Hi Marc,

Apologies for getting personal here, but I'm asked to intervene so I have to
explain some background.

First an analogy.

In Stargate Atlantis, there is a loudmouth guy, who is a valued member of
the team, competent, but continuously works on the nerves of his mates. (the
scientist/tinkerer) However, given his ultimate goodness and competence,
these outbursts are continually moderated by group dynamics.

The point is: there is no such mechanism in cyberspace. So you are a valued
and competent member, but you have a blunt, if not agressive style of
communication which antangonizes people.

So as Ryan says, we get complaining emails.

Ryan and Kevin have in the past never used the kind of language they used
recently, and the reason is that they have become antagonized.

I must admit I found Ryan's action swift and it surprised me.  However, I
have the full confidence in his good will and intentions.

The easiest solution is what he suggests, that we all learn to use moderate,
non-antagonizing language, and that applies very much to you as well. Say
what you want, but say it with gloves on, because people are sensititive
emotional beings, and it is not necessary to use strong language.

I'm sure in that case Ryan would remove the ban and the discussion can
proceed.

If this is not acceptable, we have indeed to 'invent' a due process, since
we do not really have one.

In that case, we could form a panel say of 3 people, one chosen by you, one
by Ryan, and one chosen by the two chosen ones in agreement (if you still
follow me).

This discussion can go on at p2p-f, then the 3 report back.

My wish is clear. I wish to keep Marc in here, but that he changes his style
of communication (not the content, just the style). Above all I also want to
keep Ryan in here, who has been one of the most active contributors, and has
been invariably civil and constructive on a consistent basis.

If the issue is the famous 100k .. Either Ryan and Kevin adjusts the
settings, or again, we set up a little panel to resolve that particular
issue.

Since this concerns a meta-issue of instituting a arbitration mechanism, I'm
still copying the list, though the issue is personal. But perhaps best is to
move this discussion to p2p-f, so as not to burden the topical threads. This
is a list abot p2p research after all, not for the internal affairs.

Michel