[p2p-research] Berardi essay

Wittel, Andreas andreas.wittel at ntu.ac.uk
Sat May 23 01:07:07 CEST 2009

very interesting comments Andy:

1) I would not worry too much about the final crisis problem. This remains to be seen (and the interesting argument of Boltanski/Chiapello that capitalism has always gained in strength due to the criticism directed against it is well supported with historical evidence.) But this crisis won't be over with the bailout policy. The patient is still sick. And there isn't even an idea for recovery.

2) I can agree with his position of non-violence. Why not discuss this in terms of efficiency? Violent protest just hasn't been very successful lately. It didn't change anything. Maybe somethings is emerging that is more effective There is another form of resistance happening atm, kind of post-Seattle, it is quiet and growing. People dont protest, but do things in their home and outside the market, and they connect and become effective in hurting the market very badly, e.g. Pirate bay etc.

3) True it is not clear at all where the lines of conflict are. I don't think it is about immaterial labour against the rest. There is a big and growing conflict within cognitive labour (what Pasquinelli calls the immaterial civil war), e.g. creative industries labour against more autonomous creative labour. But this seems to be a difficult question atm (who are the allies, where is the line of conflict?

Andreas