[p2p-research] Berardi essay

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 00:39:48 CEST 2009

Again, enlightening Andy, thanks.

I think using the otherness of Marx to create an aura of resistance,
rebellion, raging against the machine is valid.   I have admitted created a
straw man, but Marx seems to loom over the European left like a deity.
Poking at it is more temptation than I can bear.

I have used Tonnies' *Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft *to inform my own ideas
of social decay and to speculate that reversal is now in process due to
social network technologies.

Localism is clearly a trait of this general transformation we are all
discussing.  Whether it is induced by transportation crises, the replication
of all culture on a screen, the need to be connected to place and
placemaking, or all of the above is still to be worked out.  We are all
searching for a sociology of the small and personal world linked to the
massive cloud, but I think harkening to any of the standard sociological
schools may prove frustrating and even outright unproductive.

As to borrowing canons, I am completely guilty of weaving scriptures and
other texts quite hypocritically into my texts without necessarily pointing
out my atheism to those I argue with.  Marx has power.  Whether his ideas
do, I'm less certain.

Ryan Lanham