[p2p-research] controversy: GM foods and organic agriculture

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:47:42 CEST 2009

Hi Ryan,

I think there are two weaknesses in this reasoning,

First that, we are facing a huge increase in world population, so food is a
separate issue, not just a derivative of the 'market'.

Second, you seem to assume free markets, regarding Monsanto, but it never
works that way, Monsanto actively destroys traditional livelyhoods and
farming autonomy. I haven't seen it, but The World according to Monsanto has
been recommended several times.

I'm hoping agricultural activist Roberto Verzola can shed some light on
this,

Michel

Perhaps not very balanced in tone, but here is a quick report on that
documentary:

Under the plausible guise of eradicating world hunger with genetically
modified seeds resistant to Round-Up, a best-selling herbicide it also
developed, Monsanto has launched an insidious campaign to achieve worldwide
market supremacy, regardless of the social cost to small farmers and rural
economies.

It's all laid out in previously classified documents, and confirmed by
scientists, politicians and victims. What the evidence suggests is that
Monsanto has long waged a dirty war of pressure campaigns, corruption,
collusion with government and prevarication, also known as big fat lies.

We know where Robin stands on Monsanto. We also know she tried early and
often to get the company to talk for her documentary. It refused, on the
grounds it would not come off looking good. It doesn't.

As far back as 1937, a study showed the "systemic toxic effects" of PCBs.
Its production continued for decades, with shattering results still felt
today.

Repositioning itself as an agricultural company, Monsanto developed Bovine
Growth Hormone (rBGH) to increase milk production in dairy cows. Despite
flawed science and obvious health risks, the company rushed the product to
market, using such subtle measures as attempting to bribe Canadian
government officials.

It failed, and the drug never crossed the border. But it was accepted in the
States, where deregulations initiated during the Reagan years have put the
company into bed with successive governments committed to leading the
biotech revolution. Yes, that's Bush senior checking out the mutant Monsanto
seeds when he was Ronald Reagan's VP.

As someone says, "biotech is so important, we can't let problems get in the
way." Which explains the current GMO saturation of global markets and the
stealth penetration of those seeds through "transgenics" into native seed
stock.

It's not scary. It's terrifying. Like a Kurt Vonnegut Ice Nine effect,
Monsanto's GMO market penetration looks to turn the world to mono-culture
and potential environmental catastrophe. Rather than feed the planet, says
Robin in this essential wake-up call, Monsanto is well on the road to
ruining it.

(
http://www2.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=3f87922f-20eb-4493-8a29-a60a11dea213
)