[p2p-research] controversy: GM foods and organic agriculture

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 23:07:18 CEST 2009

It is interesting that GM foods are designed so as to minimize production
loss risk--another string in this same list.

I don't worry about their (GM foods') safety; in my opinion grains in
general aren't that good as human foods, but if you are hungry, grains fill
you up.  A real challenge is to get people productive enough so that they
can earn some money to buy things--thereby creating demand for
infrastructure that will lead to roads, shops, etc. where people can buy
things.

Productivity requires education, capital and enough political stability so
that investments can work.  I've seen guys borrow 200 Euros on MyC4 in Kenya
to get a few more goats.  They pay off the loan (sometimes at 17%+ interest)
and hugely increase their livelihood within a couple of years.  Very few
actually fail--less than 3-5%.  That will lead to more food, lower costs,
etc.

I've lent money to guys who buy and then rent out tractors in Uganda and who
repair shoes or sell cellphone batteries in Ghana and Tanzania.  It always
seems to work.  These people (many are women) know their demand and can
gauge their appropriate investment to increase supply, and then build a
small business that earns funds to get stuff...like appropriate food.  If GM
is a bad idea, they won't buy it for long.  If it is a good idea, they'll be
sending orders to Monsanto right and left.

What will not work is shipping excess food from Texas to Ghana and then
passing it out of the back of a truck.  That may keep people alive, but it
isn't going to build stable farms, towns, etc.  GM crops might though if
they are more drought resistent, bug resistent, etc.  Only time will tell.
Nothing stops people from competing with Monsanto or starting a foundation
to assure that organic seed is subsidized at competitive prices.

Ryan