[p2p-research] Theodore Adorno's work (open thread)

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:32:05 CEST 2009

"The ruthless unity in the culture industry is evidence of what will happen
in politics. Marked differentiations such as those of A and B films, or of
stories in magazines in different price ranges, depend not so much on
subject matter as on classifying, organising, and labelling consumers.
Something is provided for all so that none may escape; the distinctions are
emphasised and extended. The public is catered for with a hierarchical range
of mass-produced products of varying quality, thus advancing the rule of
complete quantification. Everybody must behave (as if spontaneously) in
accordance with his previously determined and indexed level, and choose the
category of mass product turned out for his type. Consumers appear as
statistics on research organisation charts, and are divided by income groups
into red, green, and blue areas; the technique is that used for any type of
propaganda."