[p2p-research] Self-organizing principles

Bas Reus bas.reus at gmail.com
Tue May 19 17:17:13 CEST 2009

All, this is a repost of a topic started at http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/.
Please advice.

P2P friends, here a topic on self-organizing. Currently I am trying to
define this theme by making a list of themes that overlap self-organizing
somewhere, and help to define the theme seen from an online collaborative
point of view.

Self-organizing to me can be a system that is highly adaptive, flexible and
'bottom-up'. When seen from an online collaborative point of view I tend to
think of empowerment and rules of engagement.

Of course Wikipedia can be seen as a self-organizing system where online
collaboration is taking place. This is a great example that we all know. But
what can be learnt from that? How did it become what it is today? Is it
because of self-organizing, or where there some rules agreed upon that made
it happen?

I'd like to be inspired by your thougths on this subject.
Thanks, Bas.

Original topic:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/forum/topics/selforganizing-principles
I already got some inspiration from Michel, on some available research and
interests.