[p2p-research] Fwd: [ox-en] No more money trickery propaganda please

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 09:22:32 CEST 2009

Stefan,

you persist in wanting me to say that a cushion produces interest, obvious
nonsense

again, I do not want to enter in that game,

obviously, if you had read the sentence as it was intented, in context and
given the long previous arguments, you would have understood that keeping
meant, keeping in the bank, in order to get interest, in other words the
opposite of your nonsensical misinterpretation, which for some mysterious
reason, you want to hold on to, even after repeated denials and explanations
of my part. Assuming that you misread it once, what can be a possible
explanation for holding on to that misinterpration after so many
corrections????

(the reaction of a normal person would have been: "sorry to have
misinterpreted your phrase and having gotten into a irrational fit, I
apologize, now let's move on and learn from each other's arguments")

so let me repeat, perhaps this time in very simple terms, what the essential
argument is, about the role of interest

So, let's assume we have a negative interest rate, as was the case for the
Worgl shilling, in the first renaissance  of high middle ages, or in ancient
Egypt.

What happens for example in egypt is that you bring your rice to a depot,
you get some 'vouchers' in return, but they loose some of their value every
year, because of the price of stockage, and also, a certain profit for the
mediator. In the middle ages, if I recall correctly, every four years, you
had to change five coins for four. Same principle.

In this context, hoarding money makes no sense, because it loses value over
time, it 'rots', just like real commodities do. Historically what people
would do is to re-invest in the productive economy, and the high middle ages
are known for their high rate of technical innovation i.e. sometimes called
the 'first industrial revolution', relatively high living standards  such as
a five day working week with extra 'blue monday' as day off for the family,
long skeletons in cemeteries indicating good heatlh, etc.., a doubling of
the population in 3 centuries, reclaiming and expansion of large swaths of
formerly unproductive land). This system puts a break in the accumulation
process, because accumulation loses value. The market is kept in check and
does not outgrow the rest of the economy. Since your money is worth more
today than say in ten years, you invest it, and this is in part the
explanation for the crowdfunding of the Gothic cathedrals. This is actually
what good money is intended to do, not to be used in speculative,
non-productive activities, but to be used in the process of production
itself, to enhance the living standards of all.

Now say you replace this system with centralized royal money, with a
positive interest rate. It now becomes interesting to keep your money, to
hoard it, not in a cushion of course, don't be silly, but in the bank; or
better yet, to become a banker yourself and to lend the money out. This way,
without working yourself, you are getting rich while those that work have to
pay a rent to you. This system strenghtens the tendencies for accumulation,
created the conditions for increasingly centralized royal power, and created
the deteriorated social conditions that started in the 14th century.

But the systemic effects of compound interest are wider than that. If you
lend out that money, and I have to pay your back approximately double in
twenty years, which is about the going rate for buying a house now (or at
least it was when I bought mine), even with inflation, you are going to need
substantially more money than you have now. The result is that it destroys
any possibility for a balanced growth economy, since that extra money has
only two possible sources:

- either you get it from people who have it in a static economy, in which
case you create absolute poverty

or:

- you create a growth economy, i.e. capitalism, in which noboby can stand
still, and so, you get the extra money from the ever-growing pie.

Please, PLEASE, do not start now talking again about your cushion, and read
again the section about keeping, without taking it out of context,

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com