[p2p-research] About "Failing business models for user-generated content"

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon May 18 13:41:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 22:05:44 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I have no technical answers to your query, beyond my feeling that:
>
> 1) like literacy, [Internet access] is a basic human right, and that
> not having access is very detrimental in contemporary society

I think almost the same, but as follows:

1) Internet access **is** a basic human right only when and in the way it
   is necessary to practice basic human rights:
      - control what my government does, have a voice in it
      - freely publish my opinion to the whole world
      - get an education, as in download textbooks and other edu resources
      - not waste money and time, as in home-banking vs driving there
      - have a cultural life, as in download or distribute videos,
        music for enjoyment, education etc..

   the rest is all good and cool etc... but is not a human right, it's
   a wonderful surplus.

2) to do all I wrote in 1 and then some there is no need for
   multiMB/sec broadband in the last mile for everybody. That is
   necessary only if everybody in town wants to see a different HD
   video **in real time**

That's why I would prefer a regime where:

a) basic internet connectivity at speed sufficient for 1) is flat
rate, as low as possible, and providers CANNOT refuse to connect you (whether
it'ss private, collective trhough kiosks or libraries, wireless,
wired... is another issue)

b) everything more than that, people who want it pay for it themselves.

Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84