[p2p-research] Fwd: About Your Post: There is such a thing as peer money

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sun May 17 20:34:22 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

I had worked in the area of "structured debate" a few years ago before
and I had posted about it 7 months ago on P2Pf @ Ning (not sure if I
deleted that post or if it's still there.. but it had zero rsponses to
it because I think people couldn't really contextualize it, and that's
due to the intertia problem you mention)

The idea, not to take away from yours (because I think yours is
fantastic and should be tried), was to have Semantic Forum where
people would tag their responses to each thread with things like
"Agree", "Debate", "Disagree", "Nonsense" and where they can add tags
within the reply itself like "InContextOf(abc paragraph from xyz
thread OR topic name)" and "RelatedTo(abc paragraph OR xyz topic
name)" so this way "filters" can be built to categorize responses
(accurately, according to how the poster intended them not how they
maybe interpreted subjectively) and basically we'd build a Semantic
Forum Language. In addition, we can build "Reasoners" or "intelligent
filters" that can make deductions for the reader, so it goes beyond
simply structuring the debate for the reader; and allows comprehension
support.

This would reduce fights (due to misinterpretation [which maybe
because the reader missed something or the poster forgot to elaborate
about the context etc, which happens very often]) and it would
increase productivity as a result of more effective dialog.

I can specify such a semantic debate system but I think that if it
could be combined with your idea or something similar then it would be
more interesting to me (as a new, fresh challenge ...)

BTW, I think that the Long Tail is failing in large part, based on
observations. It's applicable but only in small cases, and it's better
replaced with the simple statistics of chance. See this:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/05/report-challenges-long-tail-theory-on-p2p-networks/

Marc