[p2p-research] Fwd: [ox-en] No more money trickery propaganda please

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 00:19:22 CEST 2009

Stefan and Michel:

These are excellent, real and painful reasons why I am trying to complete a
set of collaborative principles for P2P.  This was not done simply to use up
my spare time.  I urge a practical exercise here, based on this all to human
and festering set of interactions.

I think the point of the Collaborative Principles is to find a foundation
whereby people can agree to collaborate together under a given set of
expectations without fear that something cannot be judged reasonably as out
of bounds.  When they cannot agree to those relations, they ought to be able
to say, for the following reasons, this is outside a P2P based
relationship.

Courteous and respectful relations, it strikes me, ought to be fundamental
to P2P interactions.

Peer to peer issues ought to be handled, peer-to-peer. But collaborations
and large scale interactions of networks call for integral leadership of P2P
entities--the case here.

A great challenge of integral leadership is not egoizing the interaction.
That calls for talents beyond my own, but it is a goal or ought to be one.

In this case, the large scale dialogue of two important groups is threatened
by egos--we all have an ego and I mean no implied criticism of anyone.  Yet
ego is not a P2P ideal.

Hard as it may be at this juncture, the spirit moving forward ought to be to
error on the side of collaboration, stop the finger wagging (which seemed to
start this) and to work together to build something bigger and stronger than
the ideas of either set of persons at the core.

I am no monk and I make a poor peacemaker, but I recommend quiet divorce or
troubled but valuable interaction founded on some set of collaborative
principles where reasonable people who many value can live on with peace of
mind and respect for their reflective, principled lives, even if they might
be imperfect.

All the usual comments and attributions (one thinks of the comment that is
attributed here and there that the arguments in academia are so fierce
because the stakes are so low...) apply here.

Michel, as a friend, I recommend rebuilding even when the abrasion stings.
And I urge you to counsel me to the same at the appropriate future time.
Stefan, I'm deeply interested in what you have to say, but I hope in future
it can be said with minimal implications as if you have found a higher moral
status and look down on anyone else with summary judgment.  That surely
isn't P2P.

I am selfishly interested in hearing what the Left in Germany and beyond has
to say.  But I do not implicitly agree with them and fully reserve the right
to disagree with ideas whenever and wherever I want.

If I am out of bounds with any of my comments, I apologize to any and all
offended and ask for the most sympathetic possible reading of this note.

Ryan Lanham