[p2p-research] Fwd: [ox-en] No more money trickery propagandaplease (was: Re: Explanation of interest)

Wittel, Andreas andreas.wittel at ntu.ac.uk
Tue May 12 13:57:00 CEST 2009

Hi Michel,
being German myself, I find your generalisation of the left German mind
a bit problematic. It is true that this controversy has destroyed the
German left in the 1980s and early 1990s, but there was not much madness
to it. It was a debate where both fractions had strong arguments for
their respective case. The quote you use does not respresent well what
you call the Anti-German fraction within the German Left. There was no
general equation of anti-finance with anti-jewish, this really would be
silly. However there was a rather strong sensitivity to detect
anti-semitism even within the left movement, and this approach made
perfect sense considering the specific experiences of the Germans with
genocide.
In short: I would disagree that the 'German over-reaction to their past'
could serve as a convincing explanation for Stefan's reaction towards
your position. I would also question if it is actually possible to have
an over-raction to genocide.
Andreas