[p2p-research] engaging with the core principles

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:19:44 CEST 2009

Hi Ryan,

only a minor remark then for this first section, I feel I agree with all
your formulations

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I have been overwhelmed lately, but ready now to engage with your core
> principles,
>
> Would it be useful for you to discuss your draft, say section by section,
> starting with this:
>
> If you agree, I will start commenting after receiving that reply:
>
> Article 1. P2P Interactions
>
> A. High quality P2P <http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P> interactions exist
> between peers. Peers typically recognize and interact with each other
> without reference to rank or hierarchies<http://p2pfoundation.net/Core_Peer-2-Peer_Collaboration_Principles?title=Hierarchies&action=edit&redlink=1>.

Here a reference to Equipotentiality may be useful? see
http://p2pfoundation.net/Equipotentiality

> B. Peers' willingness to interact is not primarily linked to external
> drivers. External drivers might include, for example, prestige in
> undertaking an interaction, financial gain, or duty.
>
> C. P2P interactions are not amoral or value neutral. A p2p ethos embodies
> trying to act with goodness and goodwill<http://p2pfoundation.net/Core_Peer-2-Peer_Collaboration_Principles?title=Goodwill&action=edit&redlink=1>as well as with practical skills and wisdom.
>
> D. Peer interactions are judged (by others who aspire to a p2p ethos) as
> qualitatively superior if linked to contributing to a commons<http://p2pfoundation.net/Commons>.
>

> E. Another measure of quality is the contribution to mission critical
> functionality <http://p2pfoundation.net/Mission_critical_functionality>.
> For example, this might involve efforts that save lives, advance learning
> and understanding, enable sustainable economic processes or otherwise
> support or enable key components of the public good as openly understood in
> free, deliberative and collaborative societies.
>
> F. P2P interactions attempt to minimize mediating forces or organizations.
> Hierachies that impose governance on p2p interactions that are otherwise
> consistent with social standards and laws are not appropriate to the ethos.
> This is particularly true if the party imposing governance is acting with
> some interest other than enabling smooth, stable and harmless p2p
> interactions.
>
> G. A p2p ethos is inconsistent with the purposeful extraction of value from
> interactions when no such value is contributed directly to a given
> interaction. Simply enabling future actions is not a creation of p2p value
> worthy of repeated compensation. That is, royalties or licensing fees are
> not consistent with a p2p ethos.
>
> H. Unless dire political consequences are involved, peers should not be
> anonymous[3]<http://p2pfoundation.net/Core_Peer-2-Peer_Collaboration_Principles#_note-Anonymity>.
>

> I. What to avoid: P2P specifically does not aim to circumvent human rights,
> democratically enacted laws, rightfully established organizational controls,
> or legitimate claims of property in force. Rather, p2p seeks to build and
> expand common resources that are expressly free, open, collaborative and
> mutually beneficial.

I probably agree with does not aim, but neither would it be opposed to
legimate attempts to change them, see for example the landless movement in
Brazil?