[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:43:05 CEST 2009

a rectification, Marc, I was speaking for myself, not for the list ....

the p2p-f wiki lists all kind of p2p infrastructural technologies ...

it's something I (we?) support in general, but not as an obligation for all
members to abide by ...

Michel

On 5/10/09, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> <<
> it's "why a definitely non-p2p way to do email
> > is much more popular on a pro-p2p list?"
> >>

> Marco:
>
> What is the purpose of the list?
>
> If the list's purpose was to promote the use of p2p technologies as
> well as p2p paradigms (beyond technologies) then you would expect the
> list members to care a lot. But as Michel put it in his preceding
> reply (in this thread) the purpose of the list is focused on
> discussing and promoting p2p paradigms but not technologies (or as
> Michel put it: driving the car and not worrying about the motor [and I
> add: not worrying whether it's a p2p motor or a centralized motor or a
> hybrid])
>
> I think this is a taste issue. People can make all sorts of arguments
> (like I do, like we all do) to justify their choices but at the end of
> the day it's a taste issue not an objective thing.
>
> I'm fine if this list's taste is to drive the car and not worry about
> the motor. That's because at least the car is being driven in the
> right direction and the argument is: whatever motor does the best job
> NOW, TODAY, because we need to get to our destination.
>
> To people like me and you, it seems that we care about the motor as
> much as the car and the destination.  Maybe others care deeply about
> the motor, but I hear Michel saying it's all physics to him and his
> goal is to get to the destination.
>
> So I have no problem with it. However, being an engineer I can't
> ignore physics and mechanics since to me the "design" of the
> technology we use is an integral part of the belief system and the
> vision, inseparable.
>
> Marc
>

> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 09, 2009 23:45:33 PM +0200, Kris ROOSE wrote:
> >> Ryan and Marc,
> >>
> >> I don/t understand you:
> >
> > Any good email client automatically includes an attribution line (the
> > one above starting with "On Sat, May 09...") which leaves a very clear
> > and very fast to read track (EVEN when it's a quote of a quote of a
> > quote!!!) of who said what. That feature, and of course proper
> > trimming/quoting, exist to avoid misattributions and
> > misunderstandings. The person who "criticized" Gmail sorting it's only
> > me (Marco), not Marc Fawzi nor Ryan.
> >
> >> all my thousands of Gmails are immediately sorted by date... and by
> >> much more than that
> >
> > I am not a Gmail user. I got an account years ago, but only played
> > with it a bit. More recently, I played again a little bit, with
> > permission, into some friends Gmail accounts. In both cases, I didn't
> > find or recognize any of the ways to sort messages (recipient, sender,
> > date, size, etc...) which are pre-built in almost all other clients I
> > know of, so I got the impression that Gmail is really limited and
> > quite below average from this specific point of view. A quick search
> [...]

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com