[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Sun May 10 10:40:40 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

very good point, and interesting answers from Ryan, Michel , Marc, ...

I ll add my say, although I may be repeating what has been said already :

Marco, I would agree with your observation.
I feel that ideally we would use non-proprietary softwares, etc
and I look forward to head in that direction.

I like the "car heading to" metaphor.

In practice, I use a gmail account, but also have other email addresses
which use the server of a trusted friend, yet I mostly end up using the
gmail address as its more practical.

I would prefer using a non proprietary p2p solution, if and when it gives me
a better service and experience.

For the moment, fears for privacy, of which I have been aware from the
start, do not yet outweigh benefits of the gmail service. Although I am
aware I may regret it some day.

Ideally I would prefer crypted emails through a resilient distributed
storage system of emails, for which there is no additional monetary cost of
mine involved, which is easy to join and offers all the benefits, and more,
of the current gmail.

If you know such existing reliable "package", and if I can easily download
all my emails from my gmail account to such solution, I will do it today.

To give an example in another, but related field:
I switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux when I felt it was in my interest.
I m happier with using linux then windows, not only because its open source
and free, and connects better with my preferred philosophy, but because I
really feel using Ubuntu Linux works better then using Windows ( except for
not having as many fancy games to play on Linux - but at least I tell myself
I wont waste my time on them ).

Again, ... I like the car metaphor used in previous posts of this thread...
:-)

Dante
http://hitchwiki.org/en/dante