[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun May 10 09:15:42 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 23:45:33 PM +0200, Kris ROOSE wrote:
> Ryan and Marc,
>
> I don/t understand you:

Any good email client automatically includes an attribution line (the
one above starting with "On Sat, May 09...") which leaves a very clear
and very fast to read track (EVEN when it's a quote of a quote of a
quote!!!) of who said what. That feature, and of course proper
trimming/quoting, exist to avoid misattributions and
misunderstandings. The person who "criticized" Gmail sorting it's only
me (Marco), not Marc Fawzi nor Ryan.

> all my thousands of Gmails are immediately sorted by date... and by
> much more than that

I am not a Gmail user. I got an account years ago, but only played
with it a bit. More recently, I played again a little bit, with
permission, into some friends Gmail accounts. In both cases, I didn't
find or recognize any of the ways to sort messages (recipient, sender,
date, size, etc...) which are pre-built in almost all other clients I
know of, so I got the impression that Gmail is really limited and
quite below average from this specific point of view. A quick search
shows I'm not alone in this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=7e8728af01fea293&hl=en
http://www.deepjiveinterests.com/2007/07/18/the-one-thing-gmail-really-needs-and-has-never-been-done/
http://www.thisisgoingtobebig.com/2005/06/gmail_sorting_i.html

Since the 1st link is... three days old, I gather that the sorting
limits denounced in the two other links are still there. For **me**
they would be enough not to use Gmail, but no problem with others who
don't care, really. Please note that my main question/curiosity isn't
"does Gmail suck or not", it's "why a definitely non-p2p way to do email
is much more popular on a pro-p2p list?"

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84