[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sun May 10 07:12:25 CEST 2009

I don't mean it as a 'radical' but as an engineer with a social conscience.

There is nothing wrong with centralization as an abstract concept
except it also involves concentration of power and loss of resiliency.

Sometimes you have to have centralization because of performance
issues or some philosophically deep design issue (like why we have one
brain instead of 10,000 brainlets throughout our body sort of like the
starfish)

But when we are able to have decentralization then we should since no
one benefits from the concentration of power (e.g. in the hands of
Google) and we can't afford to see our rights erode in the future (ans
present) as we get more and more used to the convenience that the
centralized power structures (like Google) and become willing to trade
our civil rights (e.g, privacy) to keep that convenience.

Marc