[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat May 9 23:37:00 CEST 2009

Ryan,

It's not that Gmail is expensive to society in terms of money. It's
expensive in terms of dependency and its ability to take down a huge
portion of social interaction with it when it crashes, which it does
often.

The issue is resiliency. Lack of resiliency in centralized systems is
the real expense to society.

Marc

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 11:57:49 AM -0500, Ryan Lanham wrote:
>> Marco,
>>
>> Gmail is a function rich
>
> I would never call "function rich" something that doesn't even have a
> "sort by date" and similar basic functions, but that is really, really
> a matter of personal preference, and you're also right that Gmail is,
> in spite of its name, actually a combination of email and _other_
> services, so never mind.
>
>> I disagree with Marc that these services are inherently expensive to
>> society. Corporations can be quite efficient
>
> substitute "corporations" with "centralized infrastructures" and I
> agree without problems, have you read this, especially Case 2:
>
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Thoughts_on_P2P_production_and_deployment_of_physical_objects
>
> Nor have I problems with you or anybody else using non-FOSS
> applications, for that matter.
>
>> I've long ago given up on strong expectations of privacy.  What do I
>> have to hide that isn't inherently coded and defended by other
>> service providers (e.g. banks) anyway?
>
> Private correspondence? Do your bank, government offices, credit card
> companies, marketers etc... still have complete, easy access all in
> one place to every single private message you've sent or received, if
> you don't use Gmail or any other traditional provider, web-centric or
> not?
>
>> As I have said, I'm not a political zealot for P2P.  It isn't an
>> idealism--it is, to me, a ethos.  I recognize it as a valuable set
>> of ideas whose time has come.  If its time passes, I'll shed no
>> tears
>
> same here, absolutely. But my original question/curiosity was a bit
> different and not even centered on privacy, ie "**why** is the
> percentage of Gmail users much higher **on a P2P list** than on any
> other list I follow, including non "geeky" ones?"
>
> Marco
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcfawzi