[p2p-research] "Many of us will not send mail to gmail.com"

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat May 9 19:39:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 11:57:49 AM -0500, Ryan Lanham wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Gmail is a function rich

I would never call "function rich" something that doesn't even have a
"sort by date" and similar basic functions, but that is really, really
a matter of personal preference, and you're also right that Gmail is,
in spite of its name, actually a combination of email and _other_
services, so never mind.

> I disagree with Marc that these services are inherently expensive to
> society. Corporations can be quite efficient

substitute "corporations" with "centralized infrastructures" and I
agree without problems, have you read this, especially Case 2:

http://p2pfoundation.net/Thoughts_on_P2P_production_and_deployment_of_physical_objects

Nor have I problems with you or anybody else using non-FOSS
applications, for that matter.

> I've long ago given up on strong expectations of privacy.  What do I
> have to hide that isn't inherently coded and defended by other
> service providers (e.g. banks) anyway?

Private correspondence? Do your bank, government offices, credit card
companies, marketers etc... still have complete, easy access all in
one place to every single private message you've sent or received, if
you don't use Gmail or any other traditional provider, web-centric or
not?

> As I have said, I'm not a political zealot for P2P.  It isn't an
> idealism--it is, to me, a ethos.  I recognize it as a valuable set
> of ideas whose time has come.  If its time passes, I'll shed no
> tears

same here, absolutely. But my original question/curiosity was a bit
different and not even centered on privacy, ie "**why** is the
percentage of Gmail users much higher **on a P2P list** than on any
other list I follow, including non "geeky" ones?"

Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84