[p2p-research] Implications of Alpha

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 15:43:53 CEST 2009

Michel:

Imagine the following system:  I trust that if I ask a question with the
right structure, I will get the answer I wanted, if the question is one of
facts.

That is the ideal of Alpha.  I could see the ideal being reached...not in
2010, but soon...maybe in 10 years.

Now imagine that asking good questions is a knowledge-management ideal...I
can imagine computers sitting around while we sleep and eat cheese
formulating questions to themselves and ordering information in all sorts of
ways.  Could Alpha mean that in 10 years Wikipedia will be written by a
machine?  Why or why not?

The questions are wonderful as epistemology and also very transhumanist:
What is inherently human?  What is an argument?  What constitutes a fact?
Where are the transitions between argument and discourse?  Where are the
transitions between fact and position?  Alpha is starting to hint at real
need to debate these items the way Sharky and Wienberger, you, etc. have
made us think about flatness, leadership, order and identity.

Ryan Lanham