[p2p-research] P2P Email

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 15:38:20 CEST 2009

Hi Ryan:

you write: It is a way of interacting that may be ENABLED by technology, but
is not technology.

I agree, BUT. Isn't the fact that after the tribal age, social systems were
in fact architectured to make it difficult or impossible to practice, and
that, before the internet, it was much more limited in time and space?

In that case, technological affordances are not a minor matter?

However, I agree that what matters is indeed the human interaction. Nothing
in the current structure of the internet, the web, the use of gmail etc ...
prevents us from engaging with each other in a p2p way ... But without
ownership and control. they could conceivably be taken away, and in that
context, creating more 'pure' distributed infrastructures, is an interesting
strategy.

This being said, if the social situation would change substantially, and
anti-emancipatory forces would fight for more supremacy, even such
infrastructures would be swept away.

So then it becomes a matter of an integrative strategy: 1) engaging in p2p
whenever we can, with whatever means at our disposal; 2) being mindful of
the underlying infrastructures; 3) defend the P2P acquisitions against
rollback if necessary,

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com