[p2p-research] P2P Email

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 15:27:56 CEST 2009

My own view is that P2P has nothing to do with architectures.  Nothing.  P2P
could describe systems from 1370 or 400 BC.  It is a way of interacting that
may be ENABLED by technology, but is not technology.

I agree with Marc if Version 6 allows a greater facility (easiness) for
collaboration, non-hierachical interactions, etc.  I agree with Marco that
Version 4 may do all those things now with slight intermediation.  Is
ENABLING P2P without inter-mediation better?  Yes, if it is feasible and not
too costly.  Is inter-mediation inherently bad?  I'd argue no.
ENABLING/Coaching/Mentoring/supporting/opening/facilitating...these are all
worthy human ends in my view.  P2P idealizes a clear interaction, it doesn't
demand it. Many systems can be overwhelmingly peer-2-peer (as I'd argue my
gmail is today) with a gmail in the background.  Don't let the perfect be
the enemy of the good.

Ryan Lanham