[p2p-research] P2P Email

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:00:34 CEST 2009

Correct, in the context of my definition of "p2p" which is somewhat
purist when it comes to the p2p architecture.

However, in that definition I include distribution for redundancy and
some centralized coordination (that can be distributed too for
redundancy) so, with respect to the latter, it's not completely
decentralized.

I've spent some time working on a UDP based reliable p2p protocol over
IPv4 and eventually realized that, even though P2P architectures like
Skype and BitTorrent exist already that dont require
router/NAT/firewall configuration to work (but can work better with
the right configuration), the architectural requirements and the cost
of guaranteeing 100% reliability 100% of the time is too much given
that IPv6 would solve the core issues with client-to-client
communication and is supposedly just around the corner...

So when IPv6 is finally here it will give rise to a huge growth in p2p
apps because it will be far less costly to build and maintain fast,
secure and reliable p2p (client to client) applications when you don't
have to jump thru hoops (as is the case now)

Marc

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:11 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 07:22:34 AM -0700, marc fawzi wrote:
>>>
>>> because there are no "turnkey" sw and
>>> service packages around which are tailored for this scenario, not
>>> because "ipv6 isn't here yet".
>>
>> There cannot be ANY one solution that works for ALL routers and
>> firewalls and NATs .... it's a zoo...
>
> I take this as a confirmation that when you say "p2p mail" you mean:
>
>  "everybody managing all their incoming and transmitted email
>  directly and exclusively from THEIR OWN PERSONAL COMPUTER, ie the
>  personal laptops, PDAs, whatever... that they always carry with
>  them, or the personal desktop computers they have under their desk
>  at home".
>
> Is my understanding correct? Please let me know, otherwise it makes
> very little sense to spend time in more technical details.
>
> Marco Fioretti
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcfawzi