[p2p-research] P2P Email

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:22:34 CEST 2009

<<
because there are no "turnkey" sw and
service packages around which are tailored for this scenario, not
because "ipv6 isn't here yet".

There cannot be ANY one solution that works for ALL routers and
firewalls and NATs .... it's a zoo... that is until all network
hardware makers implement IPV6 (and most have but the transition has
been a huge task and very slow)

So not until ipv6 is here holds absolutely true unless someone
undertakes the task of making one software package that works with all
network hardware out there .... :) which is not gonna happen, unless
you put a mad man in charge and fund him well ... i.e. not justifiable
cost/effort, imo

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:23 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 14:07:44 PM +0100, paola.dimaio at gmail.com wrote:
>> marco thanks for the input
>> i think it would be great if we could run a first experiment of p2p
>> mail, just tell me what to do as long as it is not complicated gmail
>> is easy and has lots of functionalities attached
>
> "doing email" the way I do mine today is probably too complicated for
> most non-geeks, but that is only because there are no "turnkey" sw and
> service packages around which are tailored for this scenario, not
> because "ipv6 isn't here yet".
>
> This doesn't mean we can't discuss the issue, of course. Quite the
> contrary.
>
>  I think the first thing is to know exactly what is available today,
> how it works, and then define exactly what one wants and what exactly
> one finds wrong with the current system.
>
> For example: what is "p2p email"? text messages, with or without
> attachments, going from my computer to yours DIRECTLY? If not, what
> else? If yes, why do we want that? Would/could it work?
>
> Why should I be forced to keep my own PC on 24/7 when it's much more
> robust, cheaper and environmentally sound to have my messages waiting
> in a real server (which MUST NOT be google, I "own" a personal one,
> for example) when I'm offline? This is just an example of why my first
> gut feeling (which may be wrong of course) when reading "p2p email"
> was, frankly, "this is a slogan in search of a reason to exist".
>
> Later,
>                Marco Fioretti
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcfawzi