[p2p-research] life as a game

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Thu May 7 14:38:35 CEST 2009

Good points but "Life as a Game" is a collection of several niche XYZ
as a Game, like Cooking as a Game (which exists), Music/Song Making as
a Game (which exists), Dancing as a Game (which exists), and we were
thinking Project Management as a Game, and various other realms as a
game, not LIFE per se in its entirety in one game!

:)

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Tomas Rawlings <tom at fluffylogic.net> wrote:
> As a games designer, I can put a few comments in here!  First is that games
> are approximate simulations of reality with a crucial difference; the rules
> of a game are set, in reality they are fuzzy.  If we designed a game where
> the rules changed, the player could never learn strategies that allowed them
> to progress and as such they would loose interest.  In life, rules changes,
> logic is fuzzy so the models of strategy we build to deal with the world
> need to be fluid too.
>
> There is a funny article mixing reality and games, 'A Letter from a Dungeon'
> worth reading!
> http://www.designersnotebook.com/Columns/027_Letter_From_a_Dungeon/027_letter_from_a_dungeon.htm
>
> I had toyed with writing a series of articles about a fictional games
> designer trying to design a game about life and failing...
>

> p2presearch-request at listcultures.org wrote:
>>>
>>> I started working on this 3 years ago:
>>>
>>> Life as a game
>>>
>>> Work as a game
>>>
>>> Relationship as a game
>>>
>>> Learning as a game
>>>
>>> Politics as a game
>>>
>>> Cooperation and cometition as a game
>>> In other words, by viewing every realm as a game we have pervasive
>>> gaming as a way to motivate us through keeping score to achieve higher
>>> performance.
>>>
>>> I stopped working on that because I saw the ridiculousness of it. But
>>> it can be extremely successful, just as Facebook is proving that
>>> friendship as a game works. Except they are smart by not using a
>>> numerical scoring system but a subjective one where people get to
>>> judge performance not computers.
>>>

> --
> Tomas
>
> -----------------------
> Tomas Rawlings
> Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
> web: www.fluffylogic.net
> tel: 0117 9442233 -
> Also see:
> blog: www.plugincinema.com