[p2p-research] scarcity of water

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sun May 3 23:18:13 CEST 2009

Same deal in  Istanbul, where we lived in the early 70s when I was young
(dad is Turkish, name changed from Favzi [turkish] to Fauzi [french] to
Fawzi [arabic] when we moved to Lebanon before the '75 war) They have no
rivers there and all water is sea water so you can have water in two ways:
buy it in bottles or buy it from waterboys who sell it on the street in tin
cups that they reuse from customer to customer (last time I was in Istanbul
was 1979 so I don't now if the latter still exists because it's a sure way
to transmit disease) The water from the tap is undrinkable. Again, I'm
speaking as of '79. I don't now how things are and have not bothered to ask.
I do know they used to have German and French as second language and now
it's English and only people in their late 40s and older speak any French or
German... so I now a lot has changed... and I hear they're in better shape
economically, even though their economy may be better now the water can only
get more scarce over time as population/economy grows

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM, <paola.dimaio at gmail.com> wrote:

> example of induced scarcity:
>
> when I arrive in Scotland long period in Asia
> at the airport I looked for a water drinking fountain
> I was surprised that there is not dringing water
> if you are thirsty you buy water at a bout 1.65 per small bottle
> Horrified I tried to fill up by bottle from the tap in the washing room,
> which was full of chlorine.
> In Scotland the quality of water is very high, just that in public places
> there is not access to water, nor in schools, nor in public buildings
>

>> People make money off of scarcity.  That scarcity can be intrinsic or
>> manufactured.  Style, fashion, brand are mechanisms that drive scarcity.
>> The role of scarcity is a topic in marketing, but it isn't much looked at by
>> economists, surprisingly.
>>
>> What is fascinating is that things once taken as not scarce, like clean
>> air and water, are becoming scarce in certain "markets."  This is leading to
>> calls that access to them exist as "rights."

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcfawzi