[p2p-research] the abundance of art

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:38:33 CEST 2009

Sometime you should find a path to look up the story of black pearls.  They
were made stylish and held to effect to achieve very high values by
marketing them at the very wealthy, and then monopolizing supply.  They
aren't rare, and they were once spurned.

People make money off of scarcity.  That scarcity can be intrinsic or
manufactured.  Style, fashion, brand are mechanisms that drive scarcity.
The role of scarcity is a topic in marketing, but it isn't much looked at by
economists, surprisingly.

What is fascinating is that things once taken as not scarce, like clean air
and water, are becoming scarce in certain "markets."  This is leading to
calls that access to them exist as "rights."

Lessig talks about free as in free speech versus free free beer.  The
trouble with art is that its reproduction spans the concept of free speech
and free beer.  People have a "right" to earn income from their ideas (like
art designs).  But the P2P ethos suggests that a fair portion of production
should go into the creative commons so that it can be accessed by others. I
think artists can be urged to norms of have some of their works be scarce
while others are in the creative commons.  That way many have access and
some can enjoy the economics of scarcity.

Ryan Lanham