[p2p-research] the abundance of art

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sun May 3 16:15:39 CEST 2009

<<

if each of our posts was not unique in its own way, there would be no point
iin having mailing lists

The other day I heard someone say, sarcastically, that the French poet
Arthur Rimbaud, quit writing by the age of 21, and that had he known Patti
Smith was going to ape his every word and gesture, he’d have quit sooner...

Why do we seek to create a scarcity of ourselves?

Why do we attach or give a scarce quality to physical objects we like even
if they can have infinite number of identical copies?

I think the answer is that difference (as opposed to sameness) is at the
very foundation of existence, i.e. nothing can exist without the existence
of the concept of "difference" because without it existence and
non-existence would be the same.

So in order for us to feel we exist even more than we do we seek to make
ourselves more and more unique and some of us take it to extremes. Same
thing for a famous painting or work of art or any object we attach emotional
value to. If we don't treat that object as a unique thing we won't feel its
existence.

So scarcity (the need for uniqueness) is built into the foundation of
reality.

Heh.

Marc

--