[p2p-research] Obama's reversal of promises = pathological lying?

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:22:50 CET 2009

more evidence?

*"The Obama Administration's Department of Justice, with former RIAA lawyers
occupying the 2nd and 3rd highest positions in the department, has shown its
colors, intervening on behalf of the
RIAA<http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html#5771350065718742723>in
the case against a Boston University graduate student, SONY
BMG Music Entertainment v.
Tenenbaum<http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2007/01/index-of-litigation-documents.html#SONY_v_Tenenbaum>,
accused of file sharing when he was 17 years old. Its oversized, 39-page
brief<http://beckermanlegal.com/pdf/?file=/Lawyer_Copyright_Internet_Law/sony_tenenbaum_090322DOJBrief.pdf>(PDF)
relies upon a United States Supreme Court decision from 1919 which
upheld a statutory damages award, in a case involving overpriced railway
tickets, equal to 116 times the actual damages sustained, and a 2007 Circuit
Court decision which held that the 1919 decision — rather than the Supreme
Court's more recent decisions involving punitive damages — was applicable to
an award against a Karaoke CD distributor for 44 times the actual damages.
Of course none of the cited cases dealt with the ratios sought by the RIAA:
2,100 to 425,000 times the actual damages for an MP3 file. Interestingly,
the Government brief asked the Judge not to rule on the issue at this time,
but to wait until after a trial. Also interestingly, although the brief
sought to rebut, one by one, each argument that had been made by the
defendant in his
brief<http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090310172906129>,
it totally ignored all of the authorities and arguments that had been made
by the Free Software Foundation in its
brief<http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/20/2129208&tid=123>.
Commentators had been fearing that the Obama/Biden administration would be
tools of the RIAA <http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18844>; does this filing
confirm those fears?"

from /.
*