[p2p-research] Open Source Manufacturing

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:19:38 CET 2009

I'm sorry I'm replying in bursts, but I wanted to add that I'm not
thinking about "uncontrolled process" for open production, I am
thinking about "renewable hierarchies" that would allow the production
system to renew itself. The very top of each hierarchy is usually the
most resistant to renewal. Hence the need for a production process
hierarchy that constantly renews.

But I agree that the issue is complex and requires a complex answer
that has to take reality not just logical analysis into consideration.

Marc

On 3/21/09, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> rather than viewing them as a foreign element. Documenting the project
>>> with
>>> future readers in mind is a core aspect of this.*
>>>
>>> *Meritocratic*. Contributions are judged transparently and based on
>>> their
>>> merits. All decisions are discussed publicly on mailing lists and can be
>>> looked up for reference.
>>>
>>> => *Project members need to realize that important input and
>>> contributions can come from all across the organization based on
>>> perspectives that may be unfamiliar to the original developers.*
>>>
>>> *Self-organizing*. There is typically no defined process imposed from
>>> the
>>> outside so the project community itself determines how to go about its
>>> work.
>>> "
>>>
>>> => *projects need to be accommodating of their volunteers and respectful
>>> of their time.* (
>>> http://www.riehle.org/publications/2008/bringing-open-source-best-practices-into-corporations-using-a-software-forge/)
>>>
>>> [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Development?title=Open_Development&action=edit&section=3>
>>> ]
>>> Typology
>>>
>>> Peter Hoddinott and Tony Bailetti
>>> [2]<http://www.osbr.ca/archive.php?issue=10&section=Ar#A2>define four
>>> possible scenario’s mixing open source code with an open or
>>> closed process of developing it:
>>>
>>> “the production of the code lacked key open source characteristics such
>>> as:
>>>
>>> • No external contributors: all code was developed in-house prior to
>>> being
>>> published on the Internet
>>>
>>> • No visibility of who developed the code and when they developed it
>>>
>>> • No mechanisms were available to the general public for
>>>
>>> (i) contributing to the production of the code prior to its release in
>>> Sourceforge.net or
>>>
>>> (ii) participating in the governance structure of the organization that
>>> produced it
>>>

>>> In short, the code was open, but the process used to produce it was
>>> closed. There was no public community behind the production of the code,
>>> and
>>> no accommodation for such a community.
>>>
>>> Our discussion then turned to the ambiguity in the usage of the word
>>> "source". Does source mean the computer code written in a recognized
>>> programming language, or the process used to produce the code, or
>>> something
>>> else? If we allow source to mean two different things:
>>>
>>> (i) the process used to produce the code, and
>>>
>>> (ii) the computer code, four cases are possible:
>>>
>>> 1. Open process and open computer code
>>>
>>> 2. Closed process and open computer code
>>>
>>> 3. Open process and closed computer code
>>>
>>> 4. Closed process and closed computer code
>>>

>>> We surmise that many use the term open source with *case 1* in mind. For
>>> example, the Eclipse code is licensed under the OSI approved Eclipse
>>> License (EPL). The central repository for the code base is available and
> [...]
>>> by
>>> collaborating with others, the sharing of code is not an issue. For
>>> others
>>> employed in private sector companies, for example at IBM, the development
>>> of
>>> free software is the basis for selling services based on that code. The
>>> fact
>>> that some people can use that code without purchasing the services is
>>> more
>>> than off-set by being able to base the service on the collective
>>> creativity
>>> of the developer community at large. From IBM's point of view, the costs
>>> of
>>> participating in open software development can be regarded as 'capital
>>> investment' necessary for the selling of the resulting product:
>>> services.
>>>
>>> For members of academia (faculty and students) writing code, but not
>>> selling (often explicitly prohibited), contributes to their professional
>>> goals, be it as part of their education, be it as part of their
>>> professional
>>> reputation-building. For them, sharing of code is not only part of their
>>> professional advancement, but an integral part of the professional
>>> culture
>>> that sustains them also economically,. in form of salaries for the
>>> faculty
>>> and stipends for the (graduate) students.
>>>
>>> Last but not least are all those who use their professional skills
>>> outside
>>> the professional setting, for example at home on evenings and weekends.
>>> Having already secured their financial stability, they can now pursue
>>> other
>>> interests using the same skill set.
>>>

>>> *2) Limited capital investment*
>>>
>>> Particularly the last, and very important group of people, whose who
>>> work
>>> outside the institutional framework on projects based on their own
>>> idiosyncratic interests, can only exist due to the fact that the means
>>> of
>>> production are extraordinarily inexpensive and accessible. Materially,
>>> all
>>> that is needed is a standard computer (often even a substandard one
>>> would
>>> already suffice) and a fast, reliable connection to the communication
>>> forums
>>> of the community. Of course, the computer and the network rely on a level
>>> of
>>> infrastructure that cannot be taken for granted in large parts of the
>>> world,
>>> but for most people in the centers of development, they are within
>>> relatively easy reach.
>>>
>>> Once this access to be means of communication is secured, the skills
>>> necessary to participate in the development of code can also be acquired
>>> collaboratively, free of charge. The number of self-taught programmers
>>> significant. Since no expensive diplomas are necessary to become active,
> [...]
>>> people capable programmers is also unusually wide, not the least because
>>> the
>>> material hurdles are so low and the learning can take place outside of
>>> institutions with entry exams and tuition fees. This large and
>>> diversified
>>> pool of talents makes it possible to create the critical mass of
>>> contributors out of only a fraction of population.
>>>

>>> *4) Modularized Production*
>>>
>>> A large software program consists of many smaller code segments
>>> (libraries, plug-ins etc.)This makes it possible to break down the
>>> production process into many small steps which can be carried out by
>>> distributed contributors. If the act of integration is relatively
>>> straight
>>> forward, it allows to keep the amount of work that each has to
>>> contribute
>>> highly flexible and also make use of smaller contributions (bug reports,
>>> patches). Furthermore, the modularity of the production process allows a
>>> high number of people to work in parallel without creating significant
>>> interferences.
>>>

>>> *5) Producers Are Users*
>>>
>>> According to Eric S. Raymond, a good open source projects starts with a
>>> programmer scratching his own itch and finding out in the process that
>>> there
>>> are many others with the same problem. Wanting to use a program is a
>>> great
>>> motivation of contributing to developing it. Often, it's much more
>>> efficient
>>> that waiting, hoping that someone will write and sell a program that
>>> will
>>> address one's particular need.
>>>

>>> *6) No Liability*
>>>
>>> Last, but not least, software has no product liability. Paragraph 11 of
>>> the GPL states, similar to most other licenses, that "the copyright
>>> holders
>>> and/or other parties provide the program 'as is' without warranty of any
>>> kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
>>> implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular
>>> purpose"
>>> (GPL, v2). The absence of liability makes it possible to produce a
>>> program
>>> without having to assign clear ownership, or other markers allowing to
>>> determine liability, to it.
>>>
>>> The space delimited by these condition is large and still not fully
>>> explored. We can expect that the current open production model will find
>>> additional niches in which it can thrive. Few could have predicted the
>>> success of Wikipedia only three years ago, even though Open Source
>>> Software
>>> had already been very successful at the time. However, it is also clear
>>> that
>>> many information goods fall outside of this space. Not always are the
>>> means
>>> of production inexpensive and readily available or the production
>>> modular. Sometimes, the number of potential producers is small, more
>>> often
>>> than not are the producers not the users of their own products, and, in
>>> many
>>> cases, product liability is desirable.
>>>
>>> This does not mean that the "open source model" cannot apply to, say,
>>> the
>>> production of literary works, music, or medical drugs. What it means,
>>> however, is that to make it viable, another round of social innovation
>>> is
>>> required. This is slowly happening. The growth of "Open Access Journals"
>>> or
>>> discussions around "compulsory licensing" are good, though very early
>>> examples." (
>>> http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0308/msg00043.html)
>>>

>>> [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Development?title=Open_Development&action=edit&section=8>
>>> ]
>>> Does its model survive corporate cooptation
>>>
>>> Excerpts taken from an article by Doc Searls in Linux Journal, April
>>> 2008,
>>> at http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-now-slave-corporate-masters
>>>
>>> To what degree does the fact that free software programmers now get
>>> paid,
>>> change the internal dynamics of peer production? The following debate,
>>> taken
>>> from Linux Journal, effectively answers that question,while at the same
>>> time
>>> confirming the huge commercialization that has been going on.
>>>
>>> On April 30, the Linux
>>> Journal<http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-now-slave-corporate-masters>asked
>>> an important question: Is Linux now a slave to corporate masters? Does
>>> it matter who pays the salaries of Linux kernel developers? If so, how
>>> much,
>>> and in what ways?.
>>>
>>> This question was prompted by a report from the Linux
>>> Foundation<http://www.linux-foundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php>,
>>> on the characteristics of those working on the Linux kernel.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> Slee<http://whimsley.typepad.com/whimsley/2008/04/linux-grows-up.html>has
>>> summarized the findings:
>>>
>>> “One of the highlights: “over 70% of all kernel development is
>>> demonstrably done by developers who are being paid for their work”. 14%
>>> is
>>> contributed by developers who are known to be unpaid and independent,
>>> and
>>> 13% by people who may or may not be paid (unknown), so the amount done
>>> by
>>> paid workers may be as high as 85%. The Linux kernel, then, is largely
>>> the
>>> product of professionals, not volunteers.
>>>
>>> So Linux has become an economic joint venture of a set of companies, in
>>> the same way that Visa is an economic joint venture of a set of
>>> financial
>>> institutions. As the Linux Foundation report makes clear, the companies
>>> are
>>> participating for a diverse set of commercial reasons. Some want to make
>>> sure that Linux runs on their hardward. Others want to make sure that
>>> the
>>> basis of their distribution business is solid. And so on, and none of
>>> these
>>> companies could achieve their goals independently. In the same way, Visa
>>> provides services in many different locations around the world in
>>> different
>>> sizes and types of stores. Some banks need their service mainly in one
>>> country, some in another, but when they work together they all get to
>>> provide their services all around the world.
>>>
>>> …the Linux Foundation report has made clear that open source has crossed
>>> its commercial Rubicon, and there is probably no going back.” (
>>> http://whimsley.typepad.com/whimsley/2008/04/linux-grows-up.html)
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> Carr<http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2008/04/open_source_as_1.php>predictably
>>> concludes from this:
>>>
>>> “The shift in Linux kernel development from unpaid to paid labor, from
>>> volunteers to employees, suggests that the Net doesn’t necessarily
>>> weaken
>>> the hand of central management or repeal all the old truths about
>>> business
>>> organization.” (
>>> http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2008/04/open_source_as_1.php)
>>>

>>> This specific argument is addressed by Timothy
>>> Lee<http://www.technologyowl.com/i88997-c134-rss>,
>>> who is essentially saying that the corporatization of Linux has not
>>> changed
>>> its underlying organisational model:
>>>
>>> “*For starters, most of the people contributing to the kernel are
>>> professional programmers, and most professional programmers have jobs in
>>> the
>>> software industry. So it’s totally unsurprising that most kernel
>>> contributors work for software companies.* But Carr’s observation also
>>> misses the point in a deeper way. What makes the open source model
>>> unique
>>> isn’t who (if anyone) signs the contributors’ paychecks. Rather, what
>>> matters is the way open source projects are organized internally. In a
>>> traditional software project, there’s a project manager who decides what
>>> features the product will have and allocates employees to work on
>>> various
>>> features. In contrast, there’s nobody directing the overall development
> [...]
>>> standards:
>>> POSIX, IEEE, IETF, PCI, various hardware specs, etc. There's little room
>>> for
>>> controversy here.
>>>
>>> - Generally, new features are small (less than one person-year) and can
>>> be
>>> handled by one or two individuals. This is especially true of the kernel
>>> which, although a huge project is really an agglomeration of thousands
>>> of
>>> small projects. Linus has always been fanatical about maintaining the
>>> quality and sanity of interfaces between subsystems, and this stands us
>>> in
>>> good stead when adding new components.
>>>
>>> This agglomeration of many small subsystems fits well into the
>>> disconnected, distributed development team model which we use.
>>>
>>> If the project was a large greenfield thing, such as, say, an integrated
>>> security system for the whole of San Jose airport then open source
>>> development methodologies would, I suspect, simply come undone: the
>>> amount
>>> of up-front planning and the team and schedule coordination to deliver
>>> such
>>> a greenfield product is much higher than with "legacy infrastructure"
>>> products.
>>>
>>> The resourcing of projects in the open source "legacy infrastructure"
>>> world is interesting. We find that the assignment of engineering
>>> resources
>>> to feature work is very much self-levelling. In that if someone out
>>> there
>>> has sufficient need for a new feature, then they will put the financial
>>> and
>>> engineering resources into its development. And if nobody ends up
>>> contributing a particular feature, well, it turns out that nobody really
>>> wanted the feature anyway, so we don't want it in the kernel. The system
>>> is
>>> quite self-correcting in that regard.
>>>
>>> Of course, the same happens in conventional commercial software
>>> development: if management keeps on putting engineers onto features
>>> which
>>> nobody actually wants then they won't be in management for very long.
>>> One
>>> hopes. But in the open source world we really do spend zero time being
>>> concerned with programmer resource allocation issues -- the top-level
>>> kernel
>>> developers never sit around a table deciding which features deserve our
>>> finite engineering resources for the next financial year. Either
>>> features
>>> come at us or they do not. We just don't get involved at that level.
>>>
>>> And this works. Again, because of the nature of the product: a bundle of
>>> well-specified and relatively decoupled features. If one day we decided
>>> that
>>> we needed to undertake a massive rewrite of major subsystems which
>>> 15 person years of effort then yes, we'd have a big management problem.