[p2p-research] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] telecoms Package Vote at the IMCO Committee

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:44:00 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: celia blanco <seliabv at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/3/20
Subject: [opennetcoalition] telecoms Package Vote at the IMCO Committee
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Hi there

we should, as a coalition, try to put something together to start
campaigning again against the telecoms package as it is resulting worse then
we previously thought.

You can read about the last amendments at MOnica Horten's  blog:
http://www.iptegrity.com/

I have also written something that you can read in the P2P foundation blog
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-new-proposed-telecoms-package-who-will-control-the-internet/2009/03/19

Next march 31st the last amendments tabled will be voted at the IMCO
Committee, it is important to get our voice before that day as a vote in
Committees is hard to change at the Plenary sesion.

As a coalition we can do lots of things but we need people involved to
spread the word in as much countries as possible.

I do not have any experience on this so I will need help

We have a wiki that LQN provided us that we can use as primary resource. I
have already put some there.
http://opennetcoalition.laquadrature.net/index.php/Main_Page#OpenNet_Coalition_Wiki
But this is not my strength and I am really fighting against the wiki to get
each word there.  (and it is winning :-)) Any help will be more than
welcome.

My idea was working as a coalition following the whole process until plenary
vote

   - write a new open letter addressed to the IMCO Committee with our
   concerns about amendments to the ePrivacy and  Universal Service
   Directives. (followed by letters to the INTRE and to the Parliament)
   - Ask citizens and users to write to their representatives against the
   package (using the webiste)
   - Get consumers orgs and academia involved (join our coalition, or get
   them to send a press release/letter, as BEUC has already done) We have
   members in our coalition from both worlds so they could start to circulate
   the old letter to get new signatures and present the new one as soon as it
   is ready.
   - Press release and articles in blogs to spread our work

   - Create a Facebook group maybe also a linkedin one?
   - Get translations of everything in as many languages as possible

Paolo is already working on the Facebook group and getting new signatures.
He has also suggested to use again the Comment site to place the draft
letter and texts to be used for the campaign.

I am fighting with the wiki and trying to get a list of possible contacts
and new signatures

We can use the text at the wiki to start to develop the letter addressed to
the IMCO Committee

Jeremie has also been doing things to campaign from LQN

Patrick from vorratsdatenspeicherung org.has offered his help with the
privacy part
Simona from ExGAE has already offer help, I will meet her this afternoon

Suggestions?

Ideas?

Helping offers?

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation: