[p2p-research] fan cinema article, interview, book

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 06:28:47 CET 2009

Dear friends,

I'm hoping that someone can reference or discuss this in our blog?

see:

Henry Jenkins interviews Clive Young

URL = http://henryjenkins.org/2009/03/home-made_hollywood_an_intervi.html

=Description=

"A while ago, I got contacted by Clive Young about doing an interview for a
book he was doing on fan cinema. Late last year, his '''book, Home-Made
Hollywood''', appeared, offering a fascinating account which spans from a
1930s vintage amateur version of Our Gang through landmarks such as Hardware
Wars and George Lucas in Love down to the present era when all kinds of fan
films are surfacing on YouTube. The writing is lively; the storytelling
engaging; and he's done spade work which, in some cases, urgently needed to
be done if these chapters of the history of participatory culture were going
to be preserved for future generations. As someone who has been researching
fan culture off and on for more than twenty years, I learned something on
almost every page. Young's blog continues to monitor new fan film
productions as well as share other forgotten chapters of grassroots media
making.

In the interview that follows, Young talks about the history of fan cinema,
the politics of copyright regulation, and how fan film experiences shaped
the development of a number of media industry professionals. Next time, he
will dig deeper into the issue of why more fan parodies are made by men and
how fan cinema relates to vidding, which he sees as a distinctive and
separate tradition of fan media-making."
(http://henryjenkins.org/2009/03/home-made_hollywood_an_intervi.html)

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com