[p2p-research] gotta see this ultimate mashup/remix: Kutiman’s ThruYou project alone is reason enough to update copyright laws

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:00:01 CET 2009

(hi james, I'm hoping you can exceptionally put this on our blog, given my
just before departure time constraints, it may benefit from the extra
sensitivity of an artist like yourself)

Dear James, and all:

you've gotta see the first video here, http://thru-you.com/?#/videos/1/ and
for that matter all the following ones, especially 'about'

with commentary here at
http://thepiratesdilemma.com/we-invented-the-remix/thru-you

ThruYou <http://thru-you.com/?#>by Kutiman
<http://www.myspace.com/kutiman>is one of the most mesmerizing mash-up
projects I’ve seen. The artist spent
countless hours sifting through YouTube clips of (mostly) unknown musicians
and vocalists, looking for snippets of sound and film that would fit
together perfectly, turning unrelated morsels of talent into a synced-up
symphonies of awesome.

VJing is getting ever more sophisticated (something I talk about a lot with
dubstep VJ and good pal Vector Meldrew <http://www.vectormeldrew.com/>) as
the tools of media manipulation become ever-more accessible. One-way media
and culture is no longer a relevant idea. What we have now is a jigsaw that
can and should be continuously remade and built upon. Figuring out the
legalities of all this remains something of a puzzle as well, but Kutiman’s
ThruYou project alone is reason enough to update copyright laws.

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com