[p2p-research] Fwd: ((photos)) // Re: Living with solar energy (learning notes)

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:45:35 CET 2009

For some reason this bounced back...

These are photos of the ranch in Arizona where I'm staying (for a while)

The old solar system is being replaced but the new "gel cell" batteries were
out of stock due to huge increase in demand and are being manufactured. We
should get them soon so we can install the new solar tech, which I believe
is Gallium based (I'll check the spec soon)

The ranch is not on the USPS, FedEx or UPS database of postal/physical
addresses. It is literally in the middle of nowhere, but only a few miles
from the Mexican border. The big industries in the closest town are: Copper
(abandoned now... was major contributor to higher cancer rates), Solar
Energy (as a market... most of the components are made elsewhere),  and
border surveillance technology including unmanned airplanes.

Anyway, new learnings re: solar tech:

1. Technicians will install panel array pointing to magnetic south pole.
This has to be corrected to point to the actual south pole.

2. The angle at which the panels have to be during the summer is 20 degrees
and 40 degrees for winter. It's best to set it at 30 degrees if you don't
care to adjust it once installed, but every degree makes a difference, so
it's best to adjust the panel at least twice a year.

3. The cost of a tracker (to move the panels to track the sun in the sky) is
equal to the cost of two new solar panels which provide a larger power delta
than the tracker, so there is a market opportunity here for someone to
design a tracker that costs $200 as opposed to $2000. It's all timer based,
not actual optical tracking, so it should be doable for $40-$80 in used
parts.

4. The gel cell lead-acid batteries last about 12 years on average, and they
require a deep cycle charger.

5. A watt meter is essential tool to test all appliance for power usage but
there is an opportunity to develop a meter that is in sync with the battery
charge status such that it could tell you that at night time when you're
coasting on stored energy the meter could tell you how much time you will
have left before the energy store runs out if you plug in a given appliance.
For now, I have to go up to the shed where the batteries are and measure the
charge after the sun sets and then calculates based on that which appliance
we can have turned on so that we don't lose power in the middle of the
night.