[p2p-research] Fwd: anti net-neutrality provisions in europe

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 12:14:09 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Monica Horten <monica.horten at iptegrity.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: exemplary usage of social media in french counter-hadopi
campaign?
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: celia blanco <seliabv at gmail.com>

Dear Michel
Just to update you, the Telecoms Package is now getting crucial in terms of
timing. Deadlines are next week I think for amendments.
There are some horrible amendments circulating which will create more
restrictions, threaten net neutrality  and make p2p more threatened.

I personally feel that whatever is decided in the Package, will be what we
have to live with for the next few years, therefore, it is vital to make
your views known in the next week or so, and certainly before the committee
votes which are scheduled for 31 March.

My feeling is that the "traffic management policies" that the telcos want,
are intended to deal with P2p as well as offer differential (discriminatory)
services. Indeed, when you read the telco literature, that is exactly what
they plan to do. Thus, if the legislation goes throught, the telcos will
have, among other things, carte blanche to stop p2p if they want to.

Keep an eye on my website and on the LaQuadrature  website.
I think the  coalition move was good, but it may need following up.. .

The industry is lobbying heavily against net neutrality.
also the Medina report has resurfaced, and looks like a vote next week with
amendments for Monday.

I think there is a move to do a blackout campaign in Spain similar to the LQ
one in France.
Monica

--
Monica Horten MA DipM
PhD research,  Communications and Media Research Institute,  University of

Tel: +44 (0)1628  672155
Mobile: +44 (0)7787 512887
Email: monica.horten at iptegrity.com
Skype:  monicahorten
Website: http://www.iptegrity.com

The Political Battle for Online Content in the European Union  - downloads
 v  copyright  v  free expression

In the media: Telecom TV - Deep Packet Inspection Under its own Spotlight
http://web20.telecomtv.com/pages/?newsid=43798&id=e9381817-0593-417a-8639-c4c53e2a2a10

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com