[p2p-research] Sun's McNealy: Some feds see open source as anti-capitalist

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 14:01:36 CET 2009

lot's of other capitalists find open source more interesting <g>

in fact, open source has become strategic for the very survival of the
system, just as capitalist innovation saved the feudal system after the 16th
century  ... until it took over from it ...

Michel

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/2009/02/26/26idg-Suns-McNealy.html
>
> "McNealy cited an open-source development project Sun worked on with Health
> and Human Services Department, during which a federal official said "that
> open source was anti-capitalist." That sentiment, McNealy fears, is not
> unusual or isolated."
>
> I realized today that capitalism not only creates scarcity in physical
> resources but also scarcity in emotional wisdom, which is far more damaging
> to society than scarcity in physical resources. But so did communism for
> that matter. Ideologies in general create a scarcity in wisdom and openness.
>

> As a side note, with respect to the commons vs a reciprocal
> abundance-sustaining economy, I am starting to see that a balance is needed
> between the emotional wisdom of the commons (although some see the commons
> as an ideology) and the efficiency/scalability of equitable exchange models.
>

> Marc

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com